Gates Cambridge Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Graduate (Diploma, Masters, PhD)
Provider: Gates Cambridge Trust
Country to Study in: UK
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK.
This highly prestigious scholarship is aimed at students who want to pursue full-time postgraduate degree study and research in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships programme aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
- already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded on the following criteria
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant's qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT the United Kingdom)
University of Cambridge in the UK
Fields of Study
ALL full-time postgraduate degrees offered at the University of Cambridge, UK. Applicants may apply to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study:
- PhD (three year research-only degree); or
- MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or
- a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is one of the most generous international scholarships available. It covers the following costs:
a). Core components: i). the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate*; ii). a maintenance allowance for a single student; iii). one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course; and iv). inbound visa costs and associated NHS surcharge costs
b). Discretionary components: The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis: i). Academic development funding; ii). Family allowance; iii). Fieldwork; iv). Hardship funding; v). Maternity/Paternity funding; and vi). Some fourth year funding for PhD Scholars may be provided
Method of Application
If eligible to apply, you will need to submit a single form for both admission to a postgraduate course (and College) at the University of Cambridge and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. The University decides who to admit and Gates Cambridge decides who is offered the Scholarship.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on applying to this scholarship programme.
There are two application rounds: Round 1 for US citizens normally resident in the USA; AND Round 2 for citizens of all countries other than the USA (except the United Kingdom) and US citizens normally resident outside the USA.
You are advised to begin your application as early as possible and not wait until the deadline.
Applications for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship for October 2017 entry will open on 5 September 2016. Scholarship deadlines for Round 1 (US citizens based in the USA) is 12 October 2016; AND for Round 2 (all other eligible candidates) is 7 December 2016.
Scholarships are available for courses at the University of Cambridge only - it is not possible to study at any other university. Gates Cambridge does not admit or place scholars - all applications must be made through the University of Cambridge; AND One application form for postgraduate admission and a Scholarship.
Established in 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge, the Gates Cambridge Scholarships are one of the most prestigious international scholarships in the world.
The Gates Cambridge Trust, also established in October 2000, is regulated by the Higher Education Funding Council in England via the University of Cambridge.
Application Deadline: 12 October / 7 December 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes (EXCEPT UK citizens)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in UK for International Students