Course(s) Offered: Sciences, Engineering, Technology & related fields
Course Level: Graduate (PhD, postdoc, fellowships)
Provider: Schlumberger Foundation
Country to Study in: Any country
Each year, The Faculty for the Future Fellowships, launched in 2004 by the Schlumberger Foundation, are awarded to women from developing and emerging economies.
The Schlumberger Foundation's Faculty for the Future Fellowships target women who are pursuing PhD or post-doctoral study in the physical sciences and related disciplines at top universities for their disciplines abroad.
Grant recipients are selected for their leadership capabilities as for their scientific talents, and are expected to return to their home countries to continue their academic careers and inspire other young women. Schlumberger Foundation Call for Applications for the 2017-2018 Faculty for the Future Fellowships is now on.
|Schlumberger Foundation logo (credit)|
To be eligible to apply for this fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria, you:
- are a female and are a citizen of a developing country or emerging economy. You are not eligible to apply if you hold dual citizenship of which one is citizenship of a developed country*
- are preparing for a PhD, or postdoctoral study in the physical sciences, engineering and related disciplines
- are enrolled, admitted or have applied to a host university/research institute abroad (applications are no longer accepted where an individual has not yet applied to a university). If you are applying for a sandwich course the final degree must be awarded by the University abroad (not from the home country university)
- hold an excellent academic record
- can demonstrate active participation in faculty life and outreach programs to encourage young women into the sciences
- are willing to contribute to the socio-economic development of your home country and region by strengthening the faculties in your home universities, pursuing relevant research, or using your specific expertise to address public policy matters
A successful application will have gone through four selection rounds, with the reviewers paying particular attention to the following criteria:
- Academic performance;
- Quality of references;
- Quality of host country university;
- Level of commitment to return to home country;
- Commitment to teaching;
- Relevance of research to home country;
- Commitment to inspiring young women into the sciences.
Read and follow the instructions from the link below carefully. The instructions are your guide to producing a comprehensive and competitive application.
Citizens of ANY developing country and/or emerging economy
All accredited and/or approved top universities and/or research institutes abroad. Are you interested in PhD research at UNESCO-IHE? Then, visit the research section of their website to learn more about their research themes, chair groups and lecturers.
Fields of study
Physical sciences, engineering, technology and related disciplines. Awards in biological sciences are limited.
Please visit the official website via link below for examples of Typical Disciplines Awarded.
Number of awards
Up to 218 fellowships will be granted - 49 new and 169 renewed
Grants may be renewed through to completion of studies subject to performance, self-evaluation and recommendations from supervisors.
Faculty for the Future grants are awarded based on the actual costs of studying and living in the chosen location, and is worth a maximum of USD50,000 for PhDs and USD40,000 for Post-doctoral study per year.
Method of Application
You have to apply for the PhD programme prior to applying for the fellowship. Applications are only accepted through the Fellowship Applications Online System.
The selection process includes five rounds:
- Based on compliance with eligibility criteria (as above).
- Based on scoring of these criteria
- Focus on quality of research proposal, scientific interest and relevance to home country.
- Interview by telephone by members of the Schlumberger Foundation Board of Trustees.
- Selection of grant recipients.
If you are a New Applicant, please register for an account. New applications will be accepted from September 12th to November 18th 2016 for the 2017 Fellowships (the deadline for reference letters is November 25th 2016).
If you are a Renewal Applicant, please enter your login details. Renewal applications will be accepted from September 12th to November 11th 2016 (the deadline for reference letters is November 18th 2016).
Schlumberger Foundation is an independent nonprofit entity that supports science and technology education. Recognizing the link between science, technology, and socio-economic development, as well as the key role of education in realizing individual potential, the Schlumberger Foundation flagship program is Faculty for the Future.
Application Deadline: 11 / 18 November 2016 (Renewals/ New)
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top List of International Scholarships for Women