Development Research Division (DRD) Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: Development Research Division-SA
Country to Study in: South Africa, Germany
Within the framework of cooperating in Masters and PhD programmes, the aim of the Division of Development Research of the African Excellence Centre at UWC in Cape Town is to prepare the next generation of leaders to meet the typical economic, social and political challenges arising from the development process.
The research-oriented training programmes already established at the Ruhr-University of Bochum and the University of the Western Cape have been run in close cooperation for several years now.
For applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record, the DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year.
All applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have achieved a first or upper second class for their previous course of study
- The study must have been completed at an accredited University
- The previous degree should have been an academic discipline which is related to development, such as economics, sociology, social anthropology, agriculture, statistics, etc.
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Applicants should preferably have been involved in development organisations, as interns, volunteers or employees
- There is no formal age restriction, but applicants should apply within three years of completing their previous degree, unless they have a good reason for having been academically inactive for a period
- Women are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
The scholarships are intended for nationals of Sub-saharan African countries:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon,Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo DRC (Zaire), Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissaau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- University of the Western Cape, South Africa
- Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
Scholarships are available for full-time students of:
- the MA and M Econ in Development Studies;
- the Master in Public Administration;
- the MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme): different application procedure - HARD COPYS - deadline for the 2014 intake is 31 December 2013;
- the different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC, PhD IDS)
Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro for Master candidates and 900 Euro for PhD candidates plus travel allowances.
Apart from full scholarships for participation in one of the above mentioned programmes a number of mobility scholarships for Master students are available each year. These scholarships are aimed at funding a study period in Germany.
During such a study period abroad scholarship holders can participate in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, complete an internship with a German organization working in the field related to their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the completion phase of their Master Thesis for intensive supervision periods.
Method of Application
The application forms is available for download from the scholarship section.
Candidates for the Masters Programme in Public Administration (MPA), the MA and M Econ in Development Studies as well as PhD candidates in the fields of Governance, Public Policy, Public Management or Development Studies can submit their scholarship application before they register with UWC through the online application procedure.
Scholarship submissions should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies may be submitted to Ina Conradie, Institute for Social Development, University of the Western Cape, Private Bag X 17, Belville 7535, South Africa. The mail is however very slow (and not completely reliable) and these applications should be submitted by early June. Please check by email whether we have received them.
The closing date for scholarship applications for all studies, EXCEPT MA in Development Management, is on 31 July 2013. The deadline for the 2014 intake of MA in Development Management is 31 December 2013.
It is very important to visit the official website for detailed information on how to apply. You may visit the official website via link below.
Please submit scholarship applications electronically to email@example.com, with relevant documents as scanned attachments;
In hard copy to:
Institute for Social Development, University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17, Bellville 7535
Cape Town, Republic of South Africa
Tel: 002721/959 3845
Please also notify us by e-mail if you submit a hard copy by mail, as mail can sometimes be slow and unreliable.
Application Deadline: 31 July 2013
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application