Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: Development Research Division-SA
Country to Study in: South Africa, Germany
The Division of Development Research (DRD) of the African Excellence Centre at University of the Western Cape (UWC) in Cape Town offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year for applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record, to pursue development-related Masters and PhD studies.
Within the framework of cooperating in Masters and PhD programmes, the aim of the Division of Development Research of the African Excellence Centre is to prepare the next generation of leaders to meet the typical economic, social and political challenges arising from the development process.
The research-oriented training programmes already established at the Ruhr-University of Bochum and the University of the Western Cape have been run in close cooperation for several years now.
All applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have an outstanding academic record - at least 70% for your last degree
- Applicants should apply within 3 years of having completed their previous degree
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognised university
- The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
- Women are encouraged to apply
- South African students are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
Citizens of Sub-saharan African countries
Eligible schools include:
- University of the Western Cape, South Africa
- Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
Scholarships are available for full-time students of:
- MA in Development Studies
- Master in Public Administration
- the MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme)
- the different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC)
Not specified by the provider
Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro for Master candidates and 900 Euro for PhD candidates plus travel allowances.
Apart from the full scholarships for participation in one of the above mentioned programmes a number of mobility scholarships for Master students are available each year. These scholarships are aimed at funding a study period in Germany.
During such a study period abroad scholarship holders can participate in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, complete an internship with a German organization working in the field related to their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the completion phase of their Master Thesis for intensive supervision periods.
Method of Application
Candidates for the Masters Programme in Public Administration (MPA), the MA in Development Studies and PhD studies have to submit an electronic application form by 31 July 2015. For the MA in Development Managemen (MADM), there is a separate online application to be submitted by 31 December 2015.
It is important to carefully go through the “How to apply” section of the Bochum programme and/or the course homepage; AND also to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on this scholarship and to access the electronic application forms.
The closing date for scholarship applications for all studies, EXCEPT MA in Development Management, is on 31 July 2015. The deadline for the 2016 intake of MA in Development Management is 31 December 2015.
The Development Research Division (DRD) of the DAAD-funded South African-German Centre for Development Research and Criminal Justice at the University of the Western Cape (UWC) in South Africa is a cooperation project of the Institute of Development Research and Development Policy of Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany, and the School of Government and the Institute for Social Development of the UWC.
The South African-German Centre for Development Research and Criminal Justice is the only centre in South Africa chosen for support by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) as part of their current "African Excellence" initiative.
Application Deadline: 31 December 2015
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Germany for International Students