Mo Ibrahim Scholarship Programmes
Courses Offered: Leadership, Development and related fields
Course Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate (masters, Phd, fellowships, trainings)
Provider: Mo Ibrahim Foundation
Country to Study in: Any country (UK, Africa)
The Ibrahim Scholarships are a range of award programmes to support aspiring leaders for the African continent. The scholarships reflect a range of priorities for African development.
From a focus on the education of women in Sudan to support for historically marginalised Nubian people in Egypt, the Foundation is committed to showcasing the best talent from the African continent, particularly amongst those groups who are often denied the opportunity to contribute to their society’s development.
Investing in the future of young people in Africa is key to improving the continent’s governance. The Foundation highlights areas in which dramatic impact can be demonstrated when young Africans are given the opportunities they deserve to build their own and their countries’ futures.
American University in Cairo
The Foundation will provide two graduate fellowships and two full undergraduate scholarships to students of Nubian origin, with a working knowledge of the Nubian language, who are keen to support the enrichment and preservation of Nubian culture and heritage.
The London Business School
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation scholarship for sub-Saharan Africa will support outstanding students on the full-time MBA programme at London Business School. Each year two scholarships, providing full payment of fees, will be awarded to an exceptional MBA candidate from sub-Saharan Africa with financial need...read more.
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
The Governance for Development in Africa Initiative aims to build the skills of bright young Africans with a number of strands: leadership development fellowships, residential schools on governance in Africa, a lecture series, and PhD scholarships.
Together for Sudan
The Foundation is providing support for Together for Sudan to sponsor female students in all faculties in Sudanese universities, with a particular emphasis on business studies.
University of Birmingham
The Foundation provides a scholarship for an MSc in Governance and State-Building at the University of Birmingham. The two-year programme includes a six month internship at the Foundation Secretariat. An exceptional African national receives full tuition fees, a living allowance and airfare to the UK.
Current partnerships (as at February 2013) are with the following schools:
- American University in Cairo (a liberal arts university that provides learning about Egypt and its surrounding areas)
- The London Business School
- School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- Together for Sudan
- University of Birmingham
The scholarships develop the talent of outstanding young Africans in selected disciplines.
Specifically, for the different schools, the following apply:
- American University in Cairo - Good governance and democracy
- London Business School - MBA (full payment of fees will be awarded)
- SOAS - African Studies (economic development and governance)
- Together for Sudan - Any field (especially Business studies). Each year an additional forty women will be supported to attend Ahfad University in Northern Sudan.
- University of Birmingham - MSc in Governance and State-Building (Successful applicant receives full tuition fees, a living allowance and airfare to the UK).
Candidates from sub-Saharan Africa who meet the different criteria for each programme should apply by contacting the addresses listed below.
Application deadlines will vary depending on the school of interest. Please contact the schools directly or Mo Ibrahim foundation.
Established in 2007, and evolving to accommodate shifting African dynamics, the Ibrahim Scholarships support aspiring African leaders at a number of distinguished academic institutions.
For more on the programmes please contact:
- American University in Cairo: firstname.lastname@example.org, +202 797 5011/2
- The London Business School: email@example.com, +44 (0)20 7000 7000
- School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London: Angelica Baschiera firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0)20 7898 4370
- Together for Sudan: email@example.com
- University of Birmingham: See for more information and to apply
Open to International students: Yes (ONLY eligible Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top International MBA Scholarships for Students