Program(s) Offered: Entrepreneurship
Program Level: Fellowship (training, etc)
Country to Work in: Nigeria
Microsoft is thrilled to announce the #WINsiders4Good Nigeria Fellowship for Nigerian entrepreneurs. The #WINsiders4Good Fellows belong to the Windows Insiders, the greatest community of people in the world who use the Windows technology they love to eradicate the problems they hate.
Microsoft is looking for people like you, Nigerian entrepreneurs who can't stop thinking of that idea you have that will solve a local problem as well as improve the lives of your fellow Nigerians.
Microsoft would like to build a fellowship of 20 Nigerian entrepreneurs to become its first ever, inaugural class of #WINsider4Good Fellows. If chosen, you will receive hardware and software along with 6 months of tailored technical and strategic mentorship from local and international leaders to help bring your unique idea to life.
Candidate eligible to participate in the #WINSiders4Good Nigeria Fellowship program must:
- be a member of the Windows Insider Program (apply in link below)
- be a legal resident of Nigeria;
- be 18 or older;
- have an original idea for a product or service that improves the lives of fellow Nigerians;
- not be (or have a family member who is) an employee of Microsoft;
- not be government employee.
The #WINSiders4Good Nigeria Fellowship will select candidates based on the following criteria:
- Social Impact: Addresses a common issue affecting a clearly identified segment of the Nigerian population and provides a clear benefit to the potential customers in addressing this issue
- Market Viability: The product or service has a clearly defined market that is willing and able to pay for the services to address the issue, the paying customer does not always be the end user
- Innovation: The product or service provides a unique approach to the issues faced by the Nigerian people through a net new innovation the market has yet seen; an improvement on existing solutions; or a combination of multiple solutions for more effective and efficient intervention
- Scalability: The business has the potential to serve customers across the geographic region where the entrepreneur is based, or across all of Nigeria
Citizens of Nigeria
Any Nigerian entrepreneur with any product or service, whether or not already in the market, but which can improve lives of communities
Type of product(s) and service(s) that qualify
The fellowship is open to just about any product or service that can effectively address an important social or economic issue in Nigerian communities such as: homelessness, public safety, sanitation, education, clean water, health, energy and much more.
Number of awards
Microsoft is awarding up to 20 Fellowships based on two rounds of online applications
To help develop a product or service, Fellows will receive Microsoft hardware and software, including Windows 10, Office 365 and Azure credits. Fellows will also receive technical and strategic mentorship from Microsoft staff, local and international experts. Microsoft wants to learn more about the specific needs of the Fellows and their solutions to tailor an engagement that will most benefit them.
This Fellowship will NOT help with financing, manufacturing or marketing your product. However, Microsoft mentors have extensive experience to provide guidance as you move through these efforts and bring your product or service to the market.
Method of Application
There will be two rounds of online applications. If you meet eligibility criteria, you can complete a Round 1 application online here.
It is important to read the FAQs, and also visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information before applying.
Round 1 application open 21st September, 2016 and closes 10th October, 2016. Round 2 applications opens 17th October, 2016 and closes 24th October, 2016.
Fellows will be announced on November 16, 2016.
The #WINsiders4Good Nigeria Fellowship is part of Microsoft's global #WINsiders4Good program designed to help Windows Insiders tackle important issues in their local communities. With the #WINsiders4Good Nigeria Fellowship, Microsoft wants to build a fellowship of up to 20 Nigerian entrepreneurs to develop products and services that would help improve the lives of Nigerian people.
Application Deadline: 10 / 24 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Fellowships for both Nigerian and Other International Students