Course(s) Offered: Arts, Culture
Course Level: Research fellowship
Provider: Hakuho Foundation
Country to Study in: Japan
The Hakuho Foundation invites international researchers working in the fields of Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture to Japan to conduct residential research.
With the goals of further strengthening the fundamentals of international research into Japan and deepening international understanding of Japan, the Hakuho Foundation offers the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship to these leading international researchers.
Applications now being accepted for the 12th Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship. The Application period is June 10 - October 31, 2016.
Eligible researchers are international researchers working in the fields of Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture.
University professors, associate professors and assistant professors who have outstanding and research results that have future potential, and other persons with equivalent research backgrounds, are eligible to apply.
Researchers must reside outside Japan and meet all of the criteria below.
- Affiliated with a higher education or research institution (including postdoctoral scholars' adjunct in Japanese and part-time lecturers)
- Scholar or researcher with (or soon to be granted) a doctoral degree and an extensive research or education background
- Sufficient Japanese language proficiency to be able to conduct research in Japanese
- Non-Japanese national residing outside of Japan or Japanese national who has resided outside of Japan for 10 years or more and been active in the academic community of the country of their residence
- Able to stay continuously in Japan for the duration of the Fellowship period
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT Japan)
Invited fellows will conduct their research with the cooperation of one of the following receiving organizations:
- International Research Center for Japanese Studies
- The Japan Foundation Japanese-Language Institute, Urawa
- Kyoto University
- National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics
- Ochanomizu University
- Ritsumeikan University
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
- Waseda University
Eligible research areas:
- Japanese language
- Japanese language education
- Japanese literature
- Japanese culture
Around 15 fellows will be invited each year
Long-term (12-month) and short-term (6-month) fellowships are available
Airfares, living and research expenses, housing and other expenses necessary for conducting research in Japan are provided
Method of Application
Obtain Application Guide, Application Form and Letter of Recommendation here. Fill in the Application Form, AND Have the person recommending you for this Program fill in the Letter of Recommendation. Prepare Japanese translation of the Letter of Recommendation (if written in a language other than Japanese) AND Send the above documents to the designated address by mail.
It is important to refer to the Application Guide(pdf), and visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this scholarship programme
Application period is June 10, 2016 till October 31, 2016
Hakuho Foundation was established as a Japanese Ministry of Education accredited incorporated foundation in July 1970. It inherited its spirit of philanthropy from Hakuhodo Inc., which, since its founding in 1895 as a broker for advertising in educational magazines, has conducted numerous philanthropic activities in the fields of education and culture—with particular focus on the education of children, tomorrow's leaders. Since its founding in 1970, Hakuho Foundation has worked tirelessly to help children grow and develop rich human qualities through the power of language.
Application Deadline: 31 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Japan for International Students