Course(s) Offered: Development Practice
Course Level: Graduate (masters)
Country to Study in: USA
The Sawiris Foundation for Social Development (SFSD) is proud to launch the second round of the fully funded Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship Program for candidates seeking to earn a Master’s Degree in Development Practice (MDP) from the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota, USA.
Newton Education Services, with its extensive scholarship management experience, will manage the Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship funded by SFSD to offer eligible students access to support their academic dreams in obtaining an MDP degree at the University of Minnesota.
The Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship is for Egyptian nationals, and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their applications in time. See How to Apply below.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must fulfill these criteria:
- Egyptian national
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a well-reputed academic institution in a related field of study
- Satisfy the entry requirements into the academic MDP program
- Demonstrate excellent professional and academic track record
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills (extracurricular activities/community work/entrepreneurial initiative)
- Demonstrate inability to finance studies from own resources
- While no specific experience or academic track is required, students with a strong liberal arts education background and sound quantitative and analytical skills will be best prepared for academic success at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs
- Previous coursework in mathematics, statistics, and economics is recommended
- English language proficiency is required. Valid TOEFL or IELTS exam scores with a minimum of 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), 100 (internet-based, minimum 22 on each section), or 7 for the IELTS
- MDP accepted Graduate Record Examination score (GRE). No specific score is required, however, Fall 2015 admitted students tested within average GRE Verbal Percentile: 68th and average GRE Quantitative Reasoning Percentile: 54th
- Completion of a 50-credit academic master’s program in 2 academic years
- Completion of a 8-10 week mid-program summer field experience
- Employment in the development sector in Egypt following graduation for no less than 2 consecutive years
Citizens of Egypt
Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota, USA
Fields of study
Masters level degree in Development Practice (MDP)
Number of awards
Not specified by sponsor
Award will cover the duration of the course i.e. two academic years.
Completion of a 50-credit academic master’s program in 2 academic years, and completion of a 8-10 week mid-program summer field experience are important requirements.
The scholarship will cover full tuition, living expenses, travel and health insurance.
Employment in the development sector in Egypt following graduation for no less than 2 consecutive years is an important requirement.
Method of Application
Please note that candidates must apply to, and be accepted at, the Masters of Development Practice (MDP) program at the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota, USA, independently from this scholarship application. Being shortlisted for the Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship does not guarantee acceptance at the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota.
Interested candidates must submit two separate applications to the Sawiris Foundation and to the Humphrey School by their respective deadlines:
- Scholarship application to be submitted to Newton Education Services, on behalf of SFSD. For information about how to apply for the scholarship program, visit Newton Education Services website, download the scholarship application form there and fill in all the required fields. Then mail your hard copy application and all required documents to Newton Education Services. Visit Newton Education Services HERE
- Academic application to be submitted to the Humphrey School. For information about the Humphrey application package please click HERE
Deadline for submitting your complete scholarship package to Newton Education Services: October 22nd, 2016. Deadline for submitting your completed application package to the Humphrey School: December 15th, 2016
The school code for the University of Minnesota is RA 6874.
Sawiris Foundation for Social Development is an Egyptian charity organization linked with the Sawiris Family established in 2001 and a prominent institution of economic and social aid in Egypt.
The Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota is one of the United State's top-ranked professional public policy and planning schools.The school is noted for equipping students to play key roles in public life at the local, state, national, and global level and offers six distinctive master's degrees, a doctoral degree, and five certificate programs. The Humphrey School ranks among the top 10 professional schools of public affairs at public universities in the USA.
Application Deadline: 22 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Egyptians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarships in Canada for International Students