The Foreign Student’s Scholarship
Course(s) Offered: Any available
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: Honjo International Scholarship Foundation
Country to Study in: Japan
The Honjo International Scholarship Foundation is pleased to offer The Foreign Student’s Scholarship (for graduate students) to foreign students to attend a graduate school at a Japanese university. The scholarship is also known as Honjo International Scholarships. It is mainly provided to foreign students who study in Japanese graduate schools on the purpose of earning doctoral degree.
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation provides scholarship to bright students who have the potential to become outstanding leaders to contribute to the peaceful development in the global community.
Awards are available for either local Japanese students (i.e. The Japanese Student's Scholarship) or for foreign international students (i.e. The Foreign Student’s Scholarship). All applications are submitted as from September 1 up until October 31, 2016.
To be considered for the scholarship, the student must satisfy all of the requirement criteria below:
- The student does not possess Japanese citizenship.
- The student must be registered to attend or applying for a graduate school starting from April 1, 2017.
- To be eligible, students enrolled in a PhD Program must have been born after March 31, 1981. Those enrolled in a Master’s Program must have been born after March 31, 1986.
- The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in their home country after graduating from a graduate school. This does not require him or her to have employment guaranteed or to return his or her home country immediately after graduating the university, but he or she is expected to have strong will of working in his or her home country in the future.
- The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must be able to attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
- The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese.
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT those from Japan)
All graduate schools at any Japanese university or institution of higher learning
Fields of study
Scholarships are available for pursuing graduate level programs (Master and PhD) in any course offered at a Japanese university.
Number of awards
Up to 15 to 20 Honjo international scholarships are awarded every year
The period of the Honjo International Scholarship is set in accordance with the shortest period of time required to complete the intended degree.
An extension will not be given on the pre-determined scholarship period nor would the student be allowed to change his or her courses after the scholarship period has commenced. Those whose enrollment period is shorter than one year are not eligible to apply.
The student, once awarded the scholarship will be able to choose the option (1), (2) or (3) as below.
- ¥200,000 per month for 1 or 2 years
- ¥180,000 per month for 3 years
- ¥150,000 per month for 4 or 5 years
Download the "Guidelines for Application" found on the official website, and check to see if you are eligible. Fill in the “Online Application” to obtain your application number. Your Application Number will be sent automatically to your email address that you confirmed on the Web Application. Please make a note of the number as you will need the number when results are announced.
Download all the applications as found on the official webpage and fill in the forms out in Japanese. (If your name or your current address cannot be translated into Japanese, please write these down in English). Please make sure to write down your application number at the right corner of each form and send them to the Administration Office including all the required documents as stipulated in the “Guideline for Application”.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this Scholarship, and to download the "Guidelines for Application" and "Application Form".
The time period to register your applications is between September 1 to October 31 2016. The deadline for submission of all applications is October 31, 2016
The Honjo International Scholarship Foundation has been established to provide scholarships to bright students who are struggling to study under different conditions in developing nations as well as to those Japanese students studying abroad, to help them learn advanced technologies and improve their good intentions as this will serve as a bridge connecting Japan with the rest of the world in culture and mutual friendships.
The scholarship recipients are under no obligation to repay the amount they receive from the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation. The student is not permitted to receive any other scholarship in conjunction with the scholarship offered by the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation.
Application Deadline: 31 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Japan for International Students