Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Undergraduate (Bachelors, HND)
Country to Study in: Nigeria
Established in 2009, the Sir Ahmadu Bello Memorial Foundation (SABMF) Scholarship supports Undergraduate and Higher National Diploma Studies in accredited public universities and polytechnics in Nigeria annually through the award of scholarships.
Focal areas of scholarship award are Education, Health, Agriculture, Leadership and Good Governance, Entrepreneurship Development, Peace and Security.
Applications are hereby invited for the 2013/2014 academic session and successful applicants will receive their awards during the 2013/2014 academic session.
The scholarship is available to qualified and successful applicants of Northern Nigeria states origin who gained admission into 100 level (through IME), 200 levels (through Direct Entry) for degree and HND 1 programme in the 2013/2014 academic session and have commenced their studies.
The eligibility criteria include:
- Offer of admission into a full time degree or HND programme in a public university or polytechnic
- Satisfy the minimum requirement for registration in the institution and the department or faculty as a full time student
- Credit in 5 'O' level papers including English and Mathematics at not more than two sittings
- Must be indigenes of any of the 19 states of Northern Nigeria (Evidence of State of Origin will be required).
- Must not be more than 25 years of age by the date of entry into the university or polytechnic
- A letter of reference from a community leader
However, meeting these eligibility criteria would not guarantee award of the scholarship which is subject to availability and candidate’s ranking in the selection exercise. Any falsification of information at any stage will result in the withdrawal of the scholarship.
- Interested and qualified candidates are required to apply online
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Names of successful candidates will be published in a national daily and on the Foundation's website.
- Applicants who have already been awarded scholarships under other schemes will not be considered.
Citizens of Nigeria (from the 19 northern states of Nigeria)
All accredited public universities and polytechnics in Nigeria
Fields of study
Only candidates who were admitted into science and technology courses in public universities and polytechnics are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Number of awards
Up to 190 students of Northern Nigeria origin
Award is for the duration of an academic session.
Upon award, it will be renewed subject to a minimum CGPA equivalent of "Second Class, Lower Division" for University students and "Upper Credit" for polytechnic students.
The scholarship award is worth N100,000,00 (One hundred thousand Naira) per student for the duration of an academic session.
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidates should send their personal information (not more than one page) in the following format using MS Word and as an attached document to: email@example.com
- Full Names (in the order of first name, middle name, surname)
- GSM phone number(s)
- Email address
- Age, Date of Birth, Place of Birth
- Gender (male or female)
- State of Origin
- Local Government Area
- Name & phone number of a community leader from the applicant's LGA known to him/her
- Name of University/Polytechnic
- Course of Study & Level
- Scholarship and/or Bursary held currently
- WAEC/NECO Result (list subject and grades)
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend a screening exercise during which they will be required to present the following:
- 3 passport photographs (each measuring 2 inches x 2 inches).
- Certificate of State of Origin.
- Birth Certificate.
- JAMB examination result.
- Original copy of admission letter from JAMB and the institution.
- Evidence of fees payment and faculty/departmental registration.
- Valid student identification card.
- WAEC or NECO senior secondary school examination result(s).
- A letter of reference from a community leader in the applicant's LGA.
The scholarship application closing date is 25th April, 2014.
Established in 2009 by the friends, associates and well-wishers of Sir Ahmadu Bello, the late Premier of the defunct Northern Region and Sardauna of Sokoto in collaboration with the governments of the 19 northern states of Nigeria to promote the exemplary ideals and legacy of Sir Ahmadu Bello.
SABMF focal areas are Education, Health, Agriculture, Leadership and Good Governance, Entrepreneurship Development, Peace and Security.
As part of its focus on the advancement of education in Northern Nigeria, the Foundation provides financial support for 190 eligible undergraduates and Higher National Diploma students of Northern Nigeria origin in accredited public universities and polytechnics in Nigeria annually through the award of scholarships.
Application Deadline: 25 April 2014
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Undergraduate Scholarships for Nigerian Students