Program(s) Offered: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Program Level: Training
Country to Study in: Ghana
The Melwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) in Ghana offers a one-year, full-time, intensive, fully sponsored training program to citizens of selected African countries who are aspiring technology entrepreneurs with the goal of creating globally successful companies that create wealth and jobs locally in Africa.
This training program enables students – known as Entrepreneurs-in-Training (EITs) – to learn about software development and entrepreneurship from Senior Faculty, who each bring more than 20 years of experience in the software business in the United States, Europe, or Asia. EITs also benefit from working with university graduates from around the world who serve as Teaching Fellows.
Every year, MEST trainees are recruited from among the brightest and most driven university graduates. Trainees come from diverse academic backgrounds, including French, Theater, Computer Science, Engineering, Business, and the Social Sciences.
MEST is looking for recent Ghanaian, Nigerian, Kenyan and/or South African university graduates to join our next class of entrepreneurs!
- Applicants must have a deep passion to start a software company
- MUST have 3-5 years entrepreneurial or corporate work experience
- Can commit a year in Accra, Ghana participating in the MEST training program starting September 2016
- Applicants must be from Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa and must have a degree in ANY field from a University or Technical College
- A completely-filled online questionnaire and
- Applicants from Nigeria must have completed their NYSC
- A desire to make a difference
- A strong interest in technology and software
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstrated personal drive, stamina, and self motivation, as well as the ability to meet goals and deadlines
- Confidence and independent thinking
- Excellent people skills
- Strong interest in teamwork
- The ability to communicate candidly and persuasively
- Proven academic excellence
Citizens of Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa
Melwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology, East Legon, Accra, Ghana
Fields of study
Rigorous entrepreneurial training and extensive hands-on project work, designed so that EITs master industry-proven methodologies for software development. This coursework is supplemented by a series of guest lectures, featuring the experiences and insights of internationally-recognized executives and successful entrepreneurs.
Number of awards
This is a 12-month, full-time academic exercise
To ensure that EITs can focus completely on becoming world-class entrepreneurs, MEST provides:
- Full Scholarship – MEST covers the total cost of Tuition.
- Three Meals a Day – Prepared and server by MEST’s catering staff
- Free Housing- EITs are Housed at a hostel for the duration of the two year program, free of charge.
- Monthly Stipend – MEST provide each EIT with a small monthly stipend
Interested in applying to MEST? Fill out the online application form, found on the official website, with your details; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All questions on the "Application Form" are to be answered as comprehensively as possible.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on this scholarship and to start your application.
Application deadlines for Ghana & Nigeria close May 10, 2016, for Kenya close May 25, 2016 and for South Africa close June 20, 2016
Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) was established in Accra, Ghana in 2008, by Meltwater Group and its non-profit Meltwater Foundation. The school trains young Africans to become software entrepreneurs through a one-year curriculum. Students work with business executives, university graduates and current MBA students to develop software applications and prepare them for launch in the global marketplace.
The Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) and the MEST Incubator program provide training, investment and mentoring for aspiring technology entrepreneurs with the goal of creating globally successful companies that create wealth and jobs locally in Africa. In 2015, MEST began accepting students from Nigeria. Starting this year (2016), MEST is also accepting students from Kenya and South Africa.
Application Deadline: 25 May / 20 June 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY eligible Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Entrepreneural Opportunities for International Students