Course(s) Offered: Medicine, Health
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: Discovery Foundation
Country to Study in: USA
The Trustees of the Discovery Foundation have established a Fellowship for the training of academic physicians in partnership with the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
The Discovery Foundation Massachusetts General Hospital Fellowship is intended to enhance the technical skills and academic expertise of medical doctors who have commenced their academic careers through masters or PhD studies in any field of academic healthcare, including laboratory science, clinical medicine, public health, health systems, health management and leadership.
The Fellowship may be used for advanced clinical or leadership training or research in an area that will benefit the development of healthcare in South Africa.
Requirements for Applicants:
- South African citizenship or permanent residence;
- Registration or eligibility to register as a medical specialist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa;
- Affiliation with the University of Cape Town.
The Selection Committee will look for evidence of academic promise in the applicant and the potential for acquisition of new skills, knowledge and expertise that may be transferred to South Africa. Preference will be given to candidates who were historically disadvantaged by apartheid.
Citizens or permanent residents of South Africa
Massachusetts General Hospital and / or Harvard University or other institution that associated with Massachusetts General Hospital
Fields of study
Masters or PhD studies in any field of academic healthcare, including laboratory science, clinical medicine, public health, health systems, health management and leadership
Number of awards
For a period of one year
The Fellowship will provide financial support for the selected candidate.
The Fellowship will carry an allowance that is based on the salary scale of the successful candidate and cost of living in Boston. Provision will also be made for the payment of direct economy class return airfares for the appointee, his/her partner, and children up to the age of 18 years.
Method of Application
Applications are invited from medical specialists who wish to undertake a period of study at Massachusetts General Hospital and / or Harvard University.
An applicant must SUBMIT the following documents:
- A 1-2 page letter of motivation which outlines how the period of the fellowship will benefit the candidate, the university and the country;
- A full curriculum vitae outlining previous experience in teaching, research, clinical service, and / or health management and leadership;
- A 1-2 page summary of the programme of work at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University or other institution that associated with Massachusetts General Hospital;
- A letter of acceptance from a host/supervisor/study programme.
The award is available from 1 August 2013 or from such other earlier or later date as may be agreed between the awardee and supervisor. The closing date for applications is 12 April 2013.
Kindly direct enquiries and applications to Professor Arieh Katz on 021-406-6268 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Application Deadline: 12 April 2013
Open to International students: No
Resource: Call for Applications: Discovery Foundation / MGH Fellowship
More Scholarship and Application Information