Course(s) Offered: Medicine
Course Level: Graduate
Country to Study in: USA
The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is pleased to announce two new travel awards for surgeons aged 30 to 50.
These awards, in the amount of $4,000 each, provide international surgeons with the opportunity to attend and participate fully in the educational activities of the ACS annual Clinical Congress.
They are proposed to specifically assist surgeons who work in community or regional hospitals or clinics in countries other than the United States and Canada, or who are from struggling academic departments of surgery in low- or middle-income countries. For the year 2014, preference will be given to candidates from Southeast Asia.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine.
- Applicants must be at least 30 years old, but under 50, on the date that the complete application is filed.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must show evidence of commitment to high quality surgery, to surgical teaching, and to improving access to surgical care in their community.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be typewritten and in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in North America.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three (3) of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to directly address the applicant’s commitment to high-quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care locally. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the persons making the recommendations.
- The Community Surgeon Travel Awards must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to patients in the country of origin.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College together with new supporting documentation.
Surgeons in countries other than the United States and Canada AND low- or middle-income countries
American College of Surgeons
Fields of study
The field of Medicine -- surgery and surgical practice/ teaching
Number of awards
Two (2) will be given
The value of the awards is $4,000 each.
Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the annual Clinical Congress and to one available postgraduate course held during the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the Clinical Congress city. In 2014, the Clinical Congress takes place in San Francisco, CA, October 26–30.
Method of Application
If interested, the link to the Online Application portal is found on the official web site (link is below).
Supporting materials and questions should be directed to:
International Liaison Section
American College of Surgeons
633 N. Saint Clair St.
Chicago, IL 60611-3211
email@example.com or 312-202-5021 (facsimile)
All applications for the year 2014 and all of the supporting documentation must be received at the office of the International Liaison prior to July 1, 2013, in order for an applicant to receive consideration by the selection committee. All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2013. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible in order to provide sufficient time for processing.
In order to qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the requirements must be fulfilled.
Application Deadline: 1 July 2013
Open for International Students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Was above article useful? Please share: