Course(s) Offered: Medicine
Course Level: Postgraduate (postdoctoral)
Provider: The American Liver Foundation
Country to Study in: United States, Canada, Mexico
Since 1979, the Research Awards Program has provided more than $25 million in research funding. Over 750 qualified scientists and physicians have pursued careers in liver disease research and treatment as a result of receiving these grants early in their careers.
The American Liver Foundation (ALF) Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award encourages the career development of individuals with research potential who require additional research training and experience. The award supports investigational work related to liver physiology and disease in order to prepare the recipient for a career in independent research.
Applicants must meet the following guidelines in order to be eligible for an American Liver Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award:
- Applicant must be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research.
- Applicant must apply within the first two (2) years of his/her first postdoctoral research fellowship at the time of application.” Individuals with more than two years of postdoctoral research training are ineligible.
- Applicant must be an AASLD member in good standing by the award start date and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period (July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014). If applicant is not a member at the time of application, a membership application must be submitted with application.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a research mentor. The mentor must be an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period (July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014). If mentor is not a member at the time of application, a membership application must be submitted separately by December 1.
- Co-mentors who are not AASLD members are encouraged to obtain membership.
- Applicant may only apply for one award or fellowship offered by the American Liver Foundation and AASLD per year.
Any current or intending AASLD* member from any nationality or country
(*AASLD=American Association for the Study of Liver Disease)
Any public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research.
- Recipient is directly responsible to the sponsoring institution.
- Award cannot be transferred to another mentor or institution without prior written approval from American Liver Foundation.
- A maximum of one award will be made per mentor.
- Recipient will promptly notify American Liver Foundation regarding any change in his/her status or sponsored research.
- Recipient will devote 50% or more of his/her time to the research project on which this application is based. Recipient may receive or provide research training and participate in teaching functions within the sponsoring institution, but may not undertake other substantial responsibilities during the award cycle.
Any investigational work related to liver physiology and disease
Number of awards
Several, but not specified by provider
A one year award
- Funding is provided in the amount of $12,500 for one year.
- Funding is a supplement to NIH or non-federal fellowship stipends.
- Funding is provided directly to the applicant, not the institution.
Method of Application
Make sure to double check your application before submitting it for consideration. Your complete application should include the following:
- Applicant Information
- Summary and Abstract
- Biographical Sketches
- Research Plan
- Research Facilities
- Institutional Review Board and Animal Experimentation
- Candidate’s Statement
- Letters of Commitment
- Letters of Recommendation
- Required Signatures
- AASLD Membership (if applicable)
Submit your completed application electronically no later than December 5, 2012 at 5 PM Eastern Standard Time.
- Completely fill out all forms.
- Collect all of your supplemental materials and assemble along with your application forms into a single PDF file (including all letters of recommendation). Your single PDF file must be smaller than 12 megabytes. For tips on how to reduce PDF file sizes, visit Adobe Acrobat's "Reduce PDF File Size" page.
- Go to https://liverresearchawards.org/postdocres/ (be sure to copy and paste the link exactly as shown).
- Enter your name and email address into the fields.
- In the "Institution" field enter the institution you are affiliated with.
- Click "Click here to upload files."
- Browse to your PDF document and upload the document.
- Click "Save."
- You will receive an email confirming our receipt of your application. If there was a problem with your upload a message will appear on the web page prompting you to try again.
- Contact the foundation if there are any problems.
For questions regarding American Association for the Study of Liver Disease awards and fellowships, email us here.
American Liver Foundation
39 Broadway, Suite 2700
New York, New York 10006
Application Deadline: 5PM Eastern Time, December 5, 2012
Open for International Students: Yes (USA, Canada, Mexico)
More Scholarship Information and Application