The Beit Trust Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters, phd)
Provider: The Beit Trust
Country to Study in: UK, Ireland, South Africa
The Beit Trust offers annually a small number of Scholarships abroad for postgraduate studies or research to graduates who are domiciled in Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe (the beneficial area).
Scholarships are taken up at a university in the United Kingdom, Ireland or South Africa, for study in a subject of the individual’s choice appropriate to the needs of the beneficial area.
In addition, shared awards for a taught Masters Degree are offered at the University of Cambridge (BC); University of Cape Town (BCT); Imperial College London (BI), the University of Leeds (BL); Rhodes University (BRU); Stellenbosch University (BS) and the University of Witwatersrand (BW).
Note that BC is Beit-Cambridge Scholarship, BCT is Beit-Cape Town Scholarship, BI is Beit-Imperial Scholarship, etc.
To be eligible:
- All applicants except medical and veterinary doctors must be under 30 years of age on 31 December of the year of application.
- Some experience of work after completion of a first degree is desirable.
- Doctors and vets must be under 35 years of age on 31 December and should have completed 18 months of internship and preferably a one-year rural posting in the relevant country.
African citizens from the countries of Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe (the beneficial areas)
Any accredited and approved university in the United Kingdom, Ireland or South Africa
Fields of study
All fields of study, in any subject of the applicant's choice, appropriate to the needs of the beneficial area, and available at the participating institutions
Number of awards
Not specified by provider
Duration is normally for a maximum of three years at the discretion of Trustees.
The extent of a Beit Scholarship Grant is:
- Fees and costs of tuition and related academic expenses are paid by the Trust direct to the universities.
- Scholars receive a personal allowance, index linked in accordance with guidance from an independent authority covering maintenance support.
- Other allowances are paid for arrival, a laptop and printing of a thesis, and return to Africa.
- Economy Class air passages are met by the Trust for the initial journey to the place of study, and for the return at the end of the course.
- No allowances are paid for spouses or other family members.
- BC Postgraduate Scholarship expenses are shared equally between The Beit Trust and the Cambridge Trust at the University of Cambridge, especially at Clare Hall.
- BCT Postgraduate Masters and Doctorate Scholarship expenses are shared between The Beit Trust and the University of Cape Town.
- BI Postgraduate Scholarship expenses are shared between The Beit Trust and Imperial College.
- BL Postgraduate Scholarship expenses are shared between The Beit Trust and the University of Leeds, which undertakes the administration.
- BRU Postgraduate Scholarship expenses are partly met by Rhodes University. The Beit Trust handles the administration.
- BS Postgraduate Scholarship expenses are shared between the Beit Trust and Stellenbosch University. The Beit Trust handles the administration.
- BW Postgraduate Scholarship expenses are shared between The Beit Trust and the University of Witwatersrand.
- The Beit-COSECSA Surgical in-country Scholarship is open to trainee surgeons, as set out at the foot of the official scholarship page (link to it is below).
Many Beit Scholars choose the Africa-friendly partner- universities listed above where shared costs permit a larger number of scholarships to be offered to the beneficial area.
Method of Application
Prospective applicants, who must hold at least a degree of class 2.1, i.e. Merit or Distinction, should obtain details of the awards and application requirements as follows:-
- ZIMBABWE and MALAWI: The Beit Trust Representative, P.O. Box CH 76, Chisipite, Harare, Zimbabwe. Fax: 263 (0)4 494046. E-Mail: email@example.com
- ZAMBIA: The Secretary, The Beit Trust, Beit House, Grove Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 5JB, England. Fax: 044 (0)1483 725833. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications lists open as from 1 April (for Zambia) or as from 1 June (for Zimbabwe and Malawi), but all original and certified documents, including all references, must be received by The Beit Trust by 31 August 2015.
Before applying please read carefully the "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQ) section and be aware of the above-listed criteria. If you have any questions, please do first ask.
The Beit Trust is constrained by Act of Parliament to sponsoring ONLY students who are domiciled within Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe. The Trust cannot consider applications from those who have already commenced their course.
Application Deadline: 31 August 2015
Open to International students: No
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in Africa for Students