Study Subjects: Any field
Scholarship Level: Undergraduate
Scholarship Provider: SFAO
Scholarship can be taken at: Ghana
The Students Financial Aid Office (SFAO) was necessitated by the increasing number of applications and requests from students for financial assistance. Established in August 2005 the University of Ghana sees the operation of the SFAO as strategic and an integral part of its programmes as it enables needy but bright students to access university education. Financial aid is available to Ghanaian students and is intended to remove the cost barriers that may prevent one from pursuing one’s educational goals.
In order to qualify to apply for and receive financial aid from the University of Ghana, a student must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be a Ghanaian citizen
- Be enrolled as a regular student in full time programme of study
- Be able to demonstrate financial need
- Be brilliant, and
- Be making excellent academic progress as determined by the University.
Brilliant Ghanaian citizens who meet the eligibility criteria
University of Ghana, Legon; Accra, Ghana
Fields of study
Any field available at the university of Ghana
Number of awards
Not specified by provider
Financial aid provided by the University involves financial support towards academic fees only. The additional elements would be added as resources become available. Assistance is available from a variety of sources such as funding from Government, the University, and other private sources. Brilliant students who demonstrate significant financial need may qualify for financial aid.
Financial Aid at the University is in the form of a full scholarship, partial scholarship, fee arrangements and, on-campus work-study or part-time job opportunities for students.
Method of Application
You are required to submit a completed application form with all the supporting documentation to the SFAO. It is important that you respond fully to all the questions on the form that are applicable to you. You may be asked for additional information if corrections are needed or if any information/response on your application is not clear.
The next step is an interview of short listed applicants. If your application is successful, you will receive written notification from the Students Financial Aid Office describing the kind of financial aid that you have been awarded. The award would be credited to your student account at the University.
The Students Financial Aid office will accept applications from students for the 2012-13 academic year at the beginning of the second semester (January/February 2012). Please download and submit the completed form together with supporting documents to the Students Financial Aid Office (SFAO) by 3.00 pm, Friday February 18, 2012.
- If you have previously been awarded financial aid by the SFAO, then please download and use SFAO FORM I (pdf)
- If you are applying for financial aid for the first time, or was unsuccessful with your previous application please download and use SFAO FORM II (pdf)
The following are examples of documents that can be used to support applications:
- Official pay slip or payroll record of parents/guardians or the applicant.
- Recent school receipts/ bills of siblings of school going age.
- Tax return receipts– IRS, VAT, tabletop hawking receipts, etc.
- Birth Certificates (of siblings).
- Death Certificate or Burial permit (in case of death of a parent).
- Pension letter for retired parents/guardians.
- Bank Statements / Ghana Cocoa Board Farmers Association Passbook.
- SSNIT contribution statements.
- Money transfer receipts.
- National Health Insurance receipts (showing premium paid).
- Affidavit to support any relevant claims.
- Evidence of other dependants of parents/guardians.
- Any other supporting documents that you believe will assist in the processing, of your application.
- It is important that your eligibility for student financial aid be based upon accurate information. In doing so, together, we can ensure that the right students get financial support, and that the integrity of the University of Ghana Students Financial Aid programme is preserved.
- Misrepresentation in any form or manner shall render an application null and void. Any awards made based on a misrepresentation shall be withdrawn or refunded by the applicant, and in addition he/she also may be prosecuted.
- You are required to submit a completed application form with all the supporting documentation to the SFAO. It is important that you respond fully to all the questions on the form that are applicable to you. You may be asked for further information.
If you have any questions or are unsure about any of the criteria stated above, please contact the Students Financial Aid Office:
Location: New Alumni Building, adjacent to Ecobank along the Noguchi Road
Postal Address: Students Financial Aid Office, University of Ghana, P.O. Box LG 25, Legon
You may also walk in during working hours to make enquiries.
Scholarship Application Deadline: 3.00 pm, Friday February 18, 2012 (annually)
Scholarship Open to International students: No(ONLY Ghanaians)
More Scholarship Information and Application