Course(s) Offered: Social Sciences, Health, Sciences, Business
Course Level: Postgraduate
Provider: Durham University
Country to Study in: UK
The Durham University will be awarding three postgraduate scholarships to outstanding candidates from West Africa.
Each scholarship is awarded in the form of a one-year postgraduate taught tuition fee waiver; one each in the Faculty of Social Sciences and Health, Faculty of Science and Durham Business School .
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Hold a first class bachelors degree from a West African institution and satisfy the admissions requirement of your chosen course, including English Language proficiency
- Be a national from, and residing in, one of the listed west African countries (see below)
- Liable to pay fees at the overseas student rate
- Intending to start your course of study in September 2012
- Submit with your initial application a one page statement of purpose. This should include your eligibility for the award, your motivation for taking the course and coming to the UK and any relevant extra-curricular activities/work experience.
The scholarship scheme is awarded on a competitive basis. Each award will be made to students on the basis of academic excellence. The statement of purpose will be used to help further judge students.
Nationals of the following W/African countries:
Durham University UK
Fields of study
The eligible subjects are Accounting, Banking, Anthropology, Archaeology, Computer Science, Economics, Education, Engineering, Finance, Human Resource, Management, Marketing, Geography, Law, Mathematical Sciences, Physics, Politics and International Relations, Psychology, Public Policy and Health, Sociology, and Social Work.
Excluding the MBA Programme and distance learning courses.
Number of awards
Three (3) awards
For the whole duration of the programme
Students do not have to pay for their tuition fees but are only responsible for accommodation and living costs during their stay in the UK.
As an example, UKBA recommend that students have GBP 600 per month for living costs and a 50 week stay in Ustinov, Durham’s postgraduate College costs approximately, GBP 6,000.
Method of Application
All students who meet the above criteria will automatically be considered for the scholarship
The deadline for applications in order to be considered for the award is 30 April 2012
Applications will be considered by a panel of senior academics from the relevant faculties
Successful students will be informed by 1 July 2012
If you have any questions about the Scheme please contact international.office[at]durham.ac.uk.
Scholarship Application Deadline: 30 April 2012
Open to International students: Yes (ONLY W/Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application