Course(s) Offered: Biotechnology
Course Level: Graduate (PhD, research, fellowship)
Provider: TWAS Italy; DBT India
Country to Study in: India, Other countries
Each year, the TWAS Fellowship Programmes offer a number of fellowships to young scientists from developing countries to carry out postgraduate research in developing countries other than their own.
The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy have instituted a postgraduate fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries.
The TWAS-DBT Fellowship Programmes is for those who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in Biotechnology, tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years. The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master's or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form).
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Nationals of ANY developing country (other than India)
Department of Biotechnology (DBT), India AND Key biotechnology research institutions in India. To help candidates in their choice of a suitable host institutions, a list of biotechnology institutes in India is available here: List_Biotechn_India(.PDF). However, candidates are free to choose an Indian biotechnology institution that does not appear on the list.
Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India.
Fields of study
Eligible fields include:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
Tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five (5) years
DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
Method of Application
Download the 'PG Application Form' and the 'PG Application Guidelines' from the official website. Before applying carefully read the application guidelines for detailed information on eligibility criteria, deadlines and other key requirements of the application procedure.
Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Applicants will have until the deadline to submit the Acceptance Letter to TWAS. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection. For SANDWICH Fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample included in the application form).
Applications for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should be sent to TWAS and CICS (by email). It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete details.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 August of each year.
Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year from among those offered by TWAS.
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) aims for the advancement of science in developing countries. TWAS is an autonomous international organization, founded in 1983 in Trieste, Italy, by a distinguished group of scientists from the South to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South
Application Deadline: 31 August 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes (ONLY developing country students)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in India for International Students