Course(s) Offered: Any field (social innovation, entrepreneurship)
Course Level: Graduate (MBA, MPhil, Phd)
Provider: Bertha Foundation, University of Cape Town
Country to Study in: South Africa
The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Cape Town (UCT) Graduate School of Business, in collaboration with Bertha Foundation, offers the Bertha Center Scholarships for African students.
The Bertha Centre Scholarship covers full or partial costs of a wide variety of programmes at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB). The scholarship only applies to the MBA, MPhil or PhD studies at the UCT GSB.
Candidates must be African citizens or must have been a permanent resident in South Africa or an African country for at least one year prior to applying. Eligible candidates who meet the admissions requirements of the university are encouraged to apply.
The Bertha Centre scholarships are open to innovators, entrepreneurs, out-of-the-box thinkers, system-entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field provided they are actively involved in the exploration of social, environmental and/or economic justice using innovative approaches.
You are eligible for the Bertha Center Scholarships:
- If you are an African citizen (or a South African permanent resident for at least one year.)
- If you have:
- started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social or economic change; or
- if you have worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation for at least one year.
- Experience in these fields would be preferable, as well as a track record of action exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors.
- If you can demonstrate strong leadership qualities within your field.
- Finally, you must demonstrate some level of financial need for the scholarship*.
Citizens of African countries
Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Graduate School of Business (GSB), University of Cape Town (UCT), Cape Town; South Africa
Fields of study
A wide variety of programmes at the UCT Graduate School of Business. These include the MBA [both full-time and the modular programme], the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation, and PhD programmes.
Number of awards
Not specified by sponsor
The whole duration of the course program
The Bertha Centre Scholarship covers full or partial costs of a wide variety of programmes at the UCT GSB. The scholarship caters for candidates* committed to advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
* provided they meet the admissions requirements of the university
Method of Application
You must first be eligible, comply with and apply for the MBA or MPhil programmes entrance requirements at the UCT Graduate School of Business. The Center currently (as at July 2016) has no PhD scholarships available, due to existing scholars still completing their research. You will only be able to take up the Bertha Centre Scholarship if you are successfully admitted to the UCT GSB MBA, MPhil or PhD programmes.
You should then submit the Bertha Centre Scholarship Application Form (available online) which should include:
- Your UCT application number received from the GSB Admissions Office
- Your contact details and your CV uploaded
- Your answers to the three essay questions, which shows how the degree programme at this stage in your career will help to accelerate impact in your area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- Your short [no longer than four minute] video.
Applications for the 2017 Scholarship open 1 June 2016. The Bertha Scholarship Application Form (available online as from 1st June 2016) and all other requested documentations must be submitted by 31st October 2016.
Your submission will be assessed and the Bertha Centre will contact you only if you have been selected for an interview with the scholarship selection panel.
The Bertha Scholars are Africa-based social innovators with a commitment and track record to creating positive change.
The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialised unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Through this partnership the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
While the Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all; the Bertha Centre Scholars at the GSB are part of a larger Bertha Foundation network of “troublemakers/radical actors” whose purpose it is to challenge the status quo for social justice - in this case through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
Application Deadline: 31 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in South Africa for Scholars