Study Subject(s): Medicine and healthcare Education
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD, postdoc, specialization)
Scholarship Provider: Discovery Foundation
Scholarship can be taken at: South Africa
Established in 2006 as one element of Discovery Holdings’ black economic empowerment transaction, the Discovery Foundation is an independent trust that is investing over R100 million in grants towards developing South Africa’s scarce specialist healthcare resources.
Since then, the Discovery Foundation has already committed R50 million in grants supporting almost 100 specialists in training, as well as upto eleven high-achieving healthcare institutions in South Africa.
Candidates must be South African citizens and residents. For detailed eligibility criteria visit Discovery website (see link below)
Outstanding individuals and institutional candidates from South Africa
Participating Institutions / Fields of study
The Discovery Foundation makes four groups of awards each year to outstanding individual and institutional candidates, benefiting Academic Medicine, rural healthcare, specialist training and service delivery and innovation:
- The Discovery Foundation Rural Fellowship Awards aim to attract and keep medical doctors in rural areas by facilitating access to resources and opportunities to develop professionally.
- The Discovery Foundation Sub-specialist Awards aim to address the shortage of funded training posts in HPCSA-registered sub-specialties at accredited South African academic and affiliated institutions.
- The Discovery Foundation Academic Fellowship Awards aim to promote research-focused training in Academic Medicine in South Africa.
- The Discovery Foundation Excellence Award is an award to boost healthcare resources by recognising an organisation that shows excellence in service delivery, training and innovation.
It is expected to support training of around 300 new medical specialists over ten years – focusing on training specialists for rural areas, developing Academic Medicine and research centres and increasing the number of sub-specialists.
Over a period of ten years
The Discovery Foundation Awards include scholarships, bursaries and research fellowships as well as support for teaching and research institutions.
Method of Application
Please download the 2012 application brochure (found on official website through link below) for further information regarding the awards and application criteria.
Application deadlines are as follows:
- Sub-specialist Awards and Academic Fellowship Awards – 10 October 2012
- Rural Fellowship Awards and Excellence Award – 15 January 2013
Phone: +27 (11) 544 0300
Scholarship Application Deadline: 10 October 2012 / 15 January 2013
Scholarship Open for International Students: No
More Scholarship Information and Application