Course(s) Offered: Public Policy, Taxation
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: World Bank; Govt of Japan
Country to Study in: Japan
In 2013, the Department of Economics of the Graduate School of International Social Sciences (GSISS) at Yokahama National University developed a special graduate program - the JJ/WBGSP for Public Policy and Taxation.
This program tailored to the needs of students from developing countries who are currently working in the field of tax administration and related areas was developed in collaboration with Japan’s National Tax Agency and the World Bank.
Applications for the 2017-2019 academic program has commenced, and eligible applicants are now encouraged to apply.
- Be a national of a Bank member country that is eligible to receive Bank financing and not be a national of any country that is not eligible to receive the Bank financing;
- Be in good health with respect to the capacity to be a productive scholar for the duration of the Graduate Program, as certified by a medical doctor;
- Hold a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent with superior academic achievement earned more than three (3) years before the Scholarship Application Deadline;
- Be employed in a paid and full time position at the time of Scholarship Application Deadline unless the applicant is from a country identified in the World Bank’s “Harmonized list of Fragile Situations”;
- Have, by the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, at least three (3) years of recent full time paid professional experience acquired in development-related work after a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in the applicant’s home country or in another developing country. If the applicant is from a country identified in the World Bank’s “Harmonized List of Fragile Situations” at the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, the recent professional experience does not have to be full time or paid;
- Be serving as tax officials in the Government in principle, and have at least three (3) years’ work experience in tax policy or tax administration of the Government in their home countries;
- Not have received any scholarship funding to earn a Graduate degree or its equivalent from any sources funded by the government of Japan;
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, staff of the World Bank Group (the World Bank, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes), or a close relative of the aforementioned;
- Be under the age of forty-five (45).
Priority consideration will be given to applicants who:
- are 35 years old or less;
- can receive an official leave of absence during the period of study;
- are planning to return to the equivalent position (including the current one) in their home country after s/he completes the program;
- are recommended by appropriate government agencies;
- submitted GRE scores.
Citizens of Developing Countries (MUST be World Bank member eligible to borrow)
The institutions involved:
- Department of Economics, Graduate School of International Social Sciences (GSISS) (formerly, International Graduate School of Social Sciences), Yokohama National University (YNU), Yokohama, Kanagawa; Japan; AND
- National Tax Agency of Japan; AND
- The World Bank.
Not specified -- however, in the past, 5 awards have been granted annually
Award is applied to the whole duration of the program. The next scholarship program runs from October 2017 to September 2019. This period cannot be changed under any circumstance.
The scholarship covers tuition, entrance examination, medical insurance, and admission fees. In addition, the scholarship provides a monthly allowance of JPY 152,000 (the amount is subject to change), and a round-trip air ticket to Japan plus a travel allowance. The monthly stipend is intended to cover living, commuting and other incidental expenses during the student’s study period. Travel expenses for some program-sponsored field trips are also included.
Method of Application
Application forms will be mailed upon request, and are not available through website or email. To receive application forms or for more information, please direct inquiries to:
Inquiries by telephone will not be accepted.
Use the original copy of the application form. The department does not accept photocopies. It does not accept applications via fax or email. Please download original copy of application form from the official website. Your application must be submitted to the address below:
Graduate School of International Social Sciences
Yokohama National University
79-3 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku
Yokohama, 240-8501 JAPAN
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on what constitutes a complete application, other relevant details and to download the application form.
Application forms for 2017 Admission (for study program from October 2017-September 2019) are now available. Applications for the 2016 admission must reach the MPE Office by NO LATER than February 28, 2017.
None of the application materials can be returned to applicants under any circumstances.
Also, a medical certificate will be required upon acceptance.
The primary motivation for the establishment of the Public Policy and Taxation (PPT) program was the belief that the absence of well-structured tax laws and functioning taxation systems is one of the major factors hindering economic development in developing countries.
Application Deadline: 28 February 2017
Open for International Students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application(Homepage)
More Scholarship Information and Application(2017 application)
Related: JJ/WBG Scholarship Program for International Students