Study Subject(s): All fields (except as below)
Course Level: Postgraduate (PhD, post-doctoral, research, fellowships)
Scholarship Provider: DAAD
Scholarship can be taken at: Germany
Research grants are awarded primarily to highly qualified PhD candidates who are early in their academic/professional careers or to individuals wishing to earn a doctoral degree in Germany. Funding may also be granted to recent PhDs who would like to conduct research.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time in an accredited doctoral degree program or engaged full-time in a post-doctoral position. Those wishing to pursue a complete doctoral degree program in Germany do not have to meet this requirement. (Click here to search a database of international doctoral programs in Germany.)
- PhD Candidates applying for short-term grants (one to six months) should have ABD status by the time of application, but no more than four years before applying. Those applying for long-term grants (seven to 10 months) should have reached ABD status by the time of the grant period, but no more than four years before applying. Post Docs applying for short-term grants (one to six months) should have completed their degrees no longer than four years before the time of application. Those applying for long-term grants (seven to 10 months) should have completed their degrees no longer than two years before the time of application.
- Applicants should have a well-defined research project that makes a stay in Germany essential. Preference will be given to applicants who have been invited by a faculty member at a German university to study or do research in a particular university department.
- Applicants in the arts, humanities and social sciences should have a good command of German.
- Applicants should have received their last degrees no longer than six years before the application deadline.
- At the time of application, applicants may not be living in Germany for a period of more than one year.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada. Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students/scholars at an accredited US or Canadian University for at least two years at the time of application.
A citizen or any student in the United States or Canada
Check if your university is a DAAD Partner University.
Fields of study
This grant is open to applicants in all fields. However, there are restrictions for those in healthcare related fields, including dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine; please contact the DAAD New York office if your academic pursuits are in these fields.
Number of Awards
Not specified by provider
Duration of program
Monthly stipend is approximately €1,000. In addition, DAAD will pay for health insurance and provide a flat rate subsidy for travel costs (US East: €775-850 / West: €1.000-1.075; Canada East: €925 / West: €1.300).
Terms of Award:
- Research Grants are awarded for periods of one to 10 months. Applicants wishing to complete a doctoral degree program in Germany can only apply for the long-term research grant. They may receive up to three one-year extensions.
- Ten-month scholarships must take place during the German academic year (October 1, 2013 to July 31, 2014). Short-term grants (one to six months) with the November deadline must be started between six and 12 months after the application deadline. Short-term grants with the May deadline must be started between four and 12 months after the application deadline.
- A very limited number of grantees for periods of seven months or longer may be awarded an additional two-month language course grant. This language grant is decided upon by the independent selection committee and does not require a separate application
- Grantees may not hold a DAAD grant with funding from another German, German-American or German-Canadian organization for the same period.
- If your school is a Partner University, contact the designated DAAD campus coordinator (at the list above). All materials should be submitted to your coordinator before your university's deadline. For the May 15th deadline (Short-term research grant) please apply directly to the DAAD New York office.
- If your university is NOT a Partner University, send your application directly to the DAAD New York office. Do NOT send any materials to the DAAD Bonn office, DAAD Information Centre Toronto or DAAD Information Center in San Francisco.
- The application form must be completed online.
- Please disregard the "Information regarding your application," the last page of the online application. The information relevant to your application is the following as well as the instructions DAAD New York provides in the Online Application Guidelines and the Instructions for Completing the DAAD Online Application.
- Collate, but DO NOT staple, each copy of the application in this order:
1. Signed Application Form
3. Research Proposal
4. 2 Letters of Recommendation
5. Evidence of Contact with German Institution
6. DAAD Language Certificate
7. For PhD candidates, confirmation of ABD status
- Submit a total of FOUR copies (1 original, 3 photocopies) of all the above application materials. You may open your official transcript to make photocopies of it. Exception: You may submit just ONE of each of your original, sealed recommendation letters (i.e. no photocopies needed of recommendation letters).
Deadline: November 15, 2012 (postmark) - for 10-month and short-term grants. Results will be announced at the end of March/beginning of April. May 15, 2012 (postmark) - for short-term grants. Results will be announced by mid-August.
May applicants: Please apply at least four months before your projected research stay in Germany and not much more than a year ahead
If you have questions regarding the DAAD Study Scholarship, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are NOT a citizen or student in the UNITED STATES or CANADA, please see DAAD International
Application Deadline: 15 November 2012; and May 15, 2012 (every year)
Open for International Students: No
Resource: Frequently Asked Questions
More Scholarship Information and Application