Course(s) Offered: Sciences
Course Level: Graduate (MSc, PhD)
Country to Study in: Africa
The German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD) and the Natural Product Research Network for Eastern and Central Africa (NAPRECA) have been implementing a postgraduate scholarship scheme since the 1988/89.
The programme aims at providing support to staff development efforts of universities and research institutions in the sub-region.
Applicants are selected from among young research or teaching assistants/demonstrators in universities or research institutes of NAPRECA member countries (Botswana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and DR Congo, Cameroon) or affiliate countries.
- For M.Sc. studies, at least a Second Class Upper Division B.Sc. Degree, from a recognized university
- For Ph.D. studies, an M.Sc. degree from a recognized University
- Age limit is 36 years
- Females are particularly encouraged to apply
Citizens of NAPRECA member countries (see the list below) and affiliate countries:
Botswana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, DR Congo and Cameroon
Successful candidates shall pursue postgraduate studies in universities in NAPRECA member countries other than their home country.
Fields of study
Nominees for the scholarship will pursue postgraduate studies leading to M.Sc. or Ph.D. degrees in Biology, Chemistry, and related fields.
Number of awards
DAAD provides scholarship funds annually to five new candidates through NAPRECA
The fellowship is offered for a two-year period in the case of a M.Sc. AND three or four years for a Ph.D. study.
It is the policy of DAAD to issue an extension of the scholarship on a yearly basis based on good study progress.
The scholarship fund covers university fees, book and living allowances, personal accident and medical insurance as well as a round trip air ticket where applicable.
Method of Application
Candidates should submit applications to:
The NAPRECA Coordinating Office,
Department of Chemistry,
University of Nairobi,
P.O. Box 30197 00100,
Fax No. +254 20 4446138,
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
as soon as possible, specifying the kind of training they require and a university within the region where they wish to pursue studies.
Applications should be accompanied with the following documents:
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae, indicating the candidate's background, academic qualifications, schools/universities attended and list of publications if available.
- Two letters of recommendation, one each from applicant's former professor and current employer.
- Certified photocopies of degree(s) obtained and academic transcripts.
- Two recent passport size photographs.
- Brief statement as to why the applicant wishes to embark on postgraduate studies.
- For Ph.D. candidates, submission of a declaration of acceptance from their prospective academic advisors/supervisors.
- Candidates are advised to simultaneously apply for admission at the universities they wish to study.
The deadline for receiving applications is 31st May, 2013. The deadline for receiving admission letters is 30th June, 2013.
Scholarships will not be offered without proof that the candidate has secured admission. A copy of the letter of admission should be sent to the NAPRECA Coordinating Office as soon as admission has been secured, but not later than June 30th, 2013.
Application Deadline: 31 May 2013
Open to International Students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarships in Sweden for International Students