Course(s) offered: Environmental Health
Course Level: Graduate (PhD fellowship)
Provider: Danish Ministry of Foreign affairs (FFU)
Country to Study in: Ghana
The University of Copenhagen in partnership with the University of Ghana, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology and the Dodowa Health Research Centre has been awarded funding from the Danish Ministry of Foreign (FFU) affairs to conduct a large sanitation research project in the Dangme West District of Ghana, with a focus on rapidly developing townships.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of:
- MD, DVM, M.Sc, MPhil, MPH, or other equivalent masters degree in a relevant field (e.g. Environmental Health and Hygiene, Veterinary Public Health, Microbiology/Parasitology, Biological Sciences)
- Intense interest and proven experience in scientific exploration in at least one of the three subject fields:
- Environmental Health and Hygiene
- Competency with quantitative and preferable also qualitative research methods
- Willingness to work in a team and a strong ambition to accomplish the research goals of the project
- Creative personality
- Excellent academic results /transcripts
- Excellent communication skills
- Good command of English in speaking and writing
- PhD candidates from non-Anglophone countries are required to submit an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFL or British Council, IELTS).
- Willingness to work, incl. extensive field work, within Ghana in the Greater Accra and Dangme West Districts
- Ability to travel to Copenhagen for periods of 3-4 months for PhD course training, data analyses and supervisory workshops
- Full time availability from 01.09.2011 for a period of three years
Citizens of Ghana and other West African countries
The University of Copenhagen, Denmark
The University of Ghana, Ghana
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana; and
The Dodowa Health Research Centre, Ghana
Fields of study
PhD level courses in Environmental Health - "Research project in the Dangme West District of Ghana, with a focus on rapidly developing townships in Ghana".
The Sustainable Sanitation-Ghana Project aims to identify existing barriers to improved sanitation and propose business models for providing hygienic latrine technologies and waste management solutions that can be used in poor, rapidly urbanizing townships in Ghana.
Number of awards
Throughout the duration of the doctoral study
The PhD candidate will be enrolled as a PhD fellow at the University of Ghana and will have the possibility for joint enrollment at the University of Copenhagen if requirements regarding publication in peer reviewed journals are met.
PhD supervision will be a joint University of Ghana and University of Copenhagen effort and the PhD fellow will have the opportunity to take PhD level courses at both Universities.
Location of work:
Fieldwork will be carried out mainly in Dangme West District of Ghana.
While in Ghana, the fellow will be affiliated to the Department of Biological, Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences at the University of Ghana.
While in Denmark, the fellow will be affiliated to the Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences at the University of Copenhagen.
Method of Application
To apply for this fellowship, it is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this award.
All application interests for this fellowship must be submitted on or before 27 May 2011
The University of Ghana is the oldest and largest of the thirteen Ghanaian universities and tertiary institutions. It was founded in 1948 as the University College of the Gold Coast, and was originally an affiliate college of the University of London, which supervised its academic programmes and awarded degrees. It gained full university status in 1961.
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology is a University in Kumasi, Ghana. It is the second public university established in the country as well as the second largest University in Ghana.
Application Deadline: 27 May 2011
Open for International Students: Yes
Further Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships / Fellowships in Ghana for Students