Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Undergraduate (degree, diploma)
Provider: The Old Mutual Education Trust
Country to Study in: South Africa
The Old Mutual Education Trust provides scholarships (Old Mutual Education Trust Scholarships) for higher education to members and staff of participating trade unions, and their dependants.
The scholarship provides funding to study on a full time, part time or on a distance basis, for a first time undergraduate degree or diploma (including BTech) at an accredited Higher Education Institution.
[You may also want to see our list of online and distance learning scholarships for students.]
You may apply only if you are:
- a member or staff member of one of the participating Trade Unions
- a child of a member or staff member, and are younger than 25
- a grandchild or other child blood relation of the member or staff member, and are under the age of 25, and are solely financially dependent on the member.
ALL full-time students must make sure that they submit application forms for ACCOMMODATION together with their application for studying to the institutions they intend to study at.
The scholarships are awarded primarily on the basis of academic ability and the financial needs of the applicants. The Board of Trustees can consider any other relevant factors in making the final decision in granting the scholarships.
The Trust reserves the right to adjust or withdraw any scholarship amount that may be awarded in terms of this application, should you be a beneficiary of other financial assistance (e.g. bursary, grants, loans, scholarships, awards, etc.).
Citizens of ANY country (who are members, or children and/or grandchildren of members of the trade unions listed below under 'PLEASE NOTE' section).
Several universities are accredited and approved for participating in this scholarship, including:
- University of South Africa (Unisa)
- Walter Sisulu University for Technology and Science (WSU)
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University(NMMU)
- University of Fort Hare (UFH)
- Rhodes University (RU)
- Central University of Technology (CUT)
- University of the Free State (UFS)
- Tshwane University of Technology (TUT)
- University of Johannesburg (UJ)
- University of Pretoria (UP)
- University of the Witwatersrand (WITS)
- Vaal University of Technology (VUT)
- Durban University of Technology (DUT)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN)
- University of Zululand (UNIZUL)
- Mangosuthu University of Technology (MUT)
- University of Limpopo (UL)
- University of Venda (UNIVEN)
- National Institute for Higher Education (NIHE)
- National Institute for Higher Education (NIHE)
- North West University (N/WEST)
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT)
- University of Cape Town (UCT)
- University of Stellenbosch (SUN)
- University of the Western Cape (UWC)
The courses covered are:
- Agricultural Studies
- Architectural and Environmental Studies
- Biological, Physical and Chemical Sciences
- Business, Commerce and Management Sciences/Studies
- Computer Science and Data Processing
- Education - including Advanced Certificate in Education (ACE)
- Engineering and Engineering Technology
- Health Care and Health Sciences
- Industrial Arts, Trade and Technology
- Mathematical Sciences
The scholarship covers:
- Registration and Tuition Fees
- Prescribed books and other approved study materials
- Accommodation and meals in a residence administered by the Higher Education Institution for students studying on a full time basis.
Method of Application
To indicate interest and apply to this program, you must fill in an application form. Complete and return the application form, together with ALL requirements to:
The Old Mutual Education Trust,
PO Box 73,
Cape Town, 8000.
Please ensure that your application form is filled in correctly and is COMPLETE. Attach ALL the documents needed. Application forms with INCOMPLETE information and MISSING documents will NOT be considered for the selection process. Make sure that documentation is filled in, in ENGLISH.
Please visit the official website (link to it is below) for more complete information and also to download the application form (in .DOC format). To download it in .PDF format, click here.
The closing date for submission of all applications is the 31st of July of every year. For the 2016 session, deadline is 31 July 2015.
The Old Mutual Education Trust will notify successful candidates telephonically on or before the end of November 2015.
If you do not hear from The Trust by this date, your application has been unsuccessful.
The participating trade unions include:
DENOSA (Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa); NATU (National Teachers’ Union); NEHAWU (National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union); NUM (National Union of Mine Workers); PEU (Professional Educators’ Union); POPCRU (Police and Prisons’ Civil Rights Union); SACCAWU (South African Commercial Catering and Allied Workers’ Union); SACWU (South African Chemical Workers’ Union); SADTU (South African Democratic Teachers’ Union); and SASBO (The Finance Union).
Application Deadline: 31 July 2015
Open to International Students: Yes
Further Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Online and Distance Scholarships for International Students