Course(s) offered: Biomedical sciences
Course Level: Graduate (research fellowships)
Provider: The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance
Country to Study in: India
The Wellcome Trust/ DBT India Alliance, an independent charity registered in India, offers to all nationalities the Senior Fellowships for Researchers in India.
This scheme supports outstanding researchers of any nationality, either medically qualified or science graduates, who wish to pursue a research career in an academic institution in India.
Applicants must have demonstrated their ability to lead an independent research project and group.
You should normally have between seven to fifteen years of post-PhD or equivalent clinical research experience. It is not essential for medical or veterinary degree holders to have a PhD. Due allowance will be given to an applicant whose career has been affected for personal reasons.
Applicants for the Senior Fellowship typically have a substantial record of publications and would have made significant intellectual contributions in their chosen area of research. Supervision of students and extra mural funding are also positively considered.
Candidates need not be Indian nationals or of India origin but must already be pursuing or intending to pursue an academic research career in India.
Dual Fellowship Policy:
You may apply even if you already hold another Fellowship.
You must have an eligible sponsoring host institution in India that will administer the Fellowship for the full duration of the award.
Regardless of your previous applications to the India Alliance, all applicants have to make a preliminary application to every competition.
For complete details on the eligibility criteria, visit the official website via link below.
Citizens of ALL countries of the world may apply
Any accredited and eligible academic institution in India
Fields of study
Number of awards
The fellowship is for five years
The fellowship provides:
- Personal Support for the fellow.
- Essential costs of the research programme, including consumables, equipment, collaborative travel, research assistance and technical support if appropriate
- Overheads, a flexible funding allowance and support to attend scientific meetings, in addition to requested essential costs.
Method of Application
The application process starts as follows:
- Complete and submit a preliminary application through IASys (India Alliance Online Application System) by the published deadline.
- If your preliminary application is viewed positively, you will be invited to submit a full application. Candidates will be notified in writing.
- Resubmission following consideration of full application is not permitted.
- Your application will be reviewed by the appropriate advisory committee and, if successful, you will be short-listed for interview.
This is a biannual competition.
For the November 2015 Competition, the Preliminary application launch is 15 Feb 2015; while the Preliminary application deadline is 2 April 2015. For the May 2016 Competition, the Preliminary application launch is 1 July 2015; while the Preliminary application deadline is 13 August 2015
Awards will be conditional upon a satisfactory performance at interview.
You may not apply for more than one Alliance fellowship scheme at any one time.
Late applications will not be accepted at any stage.
Fellowships must be started within one year of award.
The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance (India Alliance) is an initiative funded equally by The Wellcome Trust, UK and Department of Biotechnology, India.
They offer Fellowships across the full spectrum of biomedical science: from fundamental biology through to clinical and public health research.
Application Deadline: 13 August 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes
Further Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Fellowships for International Researchers