Study Subject: Classics
Employer: Gerda Henkel Foundation
In close cooperation with the Department of Classics at Brown University, the Gerda Henkel Foundation offers outstanding scholars in Classics an opportunity for academic research in the USA.
The goal of this scholarship is to strengthen the academic exchange between established scholars from the USA and German-speaking countries.
The Gerda Henkel Scholarship is awarded every two years. It covers the costs for one academic year (i.e. September to May) at Brown University, the costs of a substitute for a period of nine months at the scholar’s home university as well as support for travel and other research-related expenses.
The Gerda Henkel Foundation will also cover 50 percent of the housing costs. The other half will be covered by Brown University. During the period of funding, the grant holders have no teaching obligations.
The scholarship is awarded bi-annually.
Eligible candidates must:
- Currently be employed by a German-speaking university or comparable academic research institution
- hold at least a PhD degree and demonstrate superior academic achievements
- give at least one lecture on their research interests during their stay at Brown,
- be available for occasional discussions with interested graduate students, and generally take part in the intellectual and social life of the Department of Classics
- present the results of their research at Brown to the Gerda Henkel Foundation, in a report and/or academic publication.
Further Scholarship Information and Application