Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Graduate (PhD research)
Country to Study in: Australia
The Australian Federation of Graduate Women (AFGW) offers a limited number of Fellowships to women for postgraduate research, study or training and also some bursaries and grants for women for study or research. One is the biennial Georgina Sweet Fellowship.
The AFGW Georgina Sweet Fellowship is offered every second year to women graduates who are Australian citizens or international students who are permanent residents of Australia and are enrolled for a PhD degree by research in any Australian university. The funds are to be used for a specific project or purpose for PhD research in any field.
The AFGW Georgina Sweet Fellowship is offered for the second and subsequent years of a doctoral program. First year doctoral students do not qualify.
Women students in any branch of learning may apply. The following general criteria for eligibility apply:
- Available to women who are Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia and are enrolled for a PhD degree by research in any Australian university. Proof is required;
- Applicants do not have to be members of AFGW;
- The funds are to be used for a specific project or purpose as part of the research for a PhD in any field;
Fellowships are for 8 to 12 months of work. They are intended to enhance the original research or scholarship on which a postgraduate applicant is already engaged.
Applicants must provide adequate information to address all of the following criteria:
- Academic Merit;
- Originality and feasibility of proposed plan of research or study of the project;
- Extent to which the specialized knowledge and skills to be acquired will further the applicant’s career;
- Extent to which the specialised knowledge and skills to be acquired will be of benefit to the community;
- Plan of the project for which the Fellowship will be used;
- Anticipated employment or activity after completion of the research;
- Demonstration that a satisfactory level of research progress has been attained by the successful completion of at least the equivalent of the first year of the PhD research.
Citizens of Australia and ALL other countries (but MUST be an Australian permanent resident)
All approved and accredited Australian universities are eligible
Fields of study
Advanced post-first degree study or research in ANY field of study. The fellowship is intended to enhance the original research or study on which a postgraduate applicant is already engaged. First year doctoral students and applicants just beginning their research are not eligible.
Number of wards
The AFGW Georgina Sweet Fellowship is for 6 to 12 months of work. First year doctoral students and applicants just beginning their research are not eligible.
The value of the Georgina Sweet Fellowship in 2015 was A$5 000 (the value may vary in future years).
Conditions of the Fellowship:
Within six months of concluding the work undertaken under the tenure of the fellowship or grant, the recipient must submit a written report on the work accomplished. The financial assistance given by AFGW must be acknowledged in any published material embodying the results of the work carried out.
Method of Application
Candidates must complete the electronic application form. It must not be converted to a pdf file. This is essential. Interested applicants must fill in the '2015 Application Form' for submission, and also download the '2015 Guidelines' document for complete information on this fellowship.
It is essential that you carefully read the instructions in the the '2015 Guidelines' document as all necessary information is contained in them. It should be unnecessary to request extra information outside the '2015 Guidelines'. All communication will be considered part of the application.
Ensure that your application contains:
- Personal data as required on the application form
- Academic Qualifications
- Current Enrolment and Summary of Proposal
- Proposals for Research
- Financial details
- Professional data
- Employment (if relevant)
Application deadline dates is 31 May of every 2nd year.
For the 2015/2016 session, the deadline is 31 May 2015. This fellowship will be offered next in 2017.
Applicants must be postgraduate students enrolled in, or accepted by, an Australian university for advanced post-first degree study or research in any field.
Applications submitted on forms from previous competition years will automatically be rejected.
Applications must include PROOF of ENROLMENT or formal acceptance from the University or institution at which the project is to be undertaken.
Do NOT include letters of reference with your application. The AFGW Fellowship Officer will contact your referees if your application is shortlisted.
Application Deadline: 31 May 2015
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: International Scholarships for Female Students