Course(s) Offered: Mathematical modelling
Course Level: Graduate (PhD research)
Provider: University of Glasgow
Country to Study in: UK
The University of Glasgow is delighted to present the Jim Gatheral Scholarship, a postgraduate research travel award intended to enhance a doctoral (PhD) student’s experience in mathematical modelling.
The Scholarship enables the award holder to undertake a placement at a centre of advanced study preferably outwith the UK; to learn or develop new techniques in the field of mathematical modelling; AND to benefit the University of Glasgow by introducing new skills to the University or creating/furthering research collaborations with international centres of excellence.
The Jim Gatheral Postgraduate Travel Scholarship 2013 round is now CLOSED. The 2014/15 round of applications will be announced in March 2014.
Open to all postgraduate research students studying for a doctoral degree (PhD) at the University of Glasgow, whose research would benefit from new developments in mathematical modelling.
Students studying for a Masters degree (whether taught or by research) are ineligible to apply.
Citizens of ALL countries can apply
Graduate School, University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow, Scotland
Fields of study
Doctoral (PhD) level research studies in mathematical modelling
Number of awards
The award enables placements lasting between two months to one year
The Jim Gatheral Postgraduate Travel Scholarship aims to:
- to provide funding to allow the award holder to undertake a placement lasting between two months and one year at a centre of advanced study preferably outwith the UK in order to enrich and further their academic experience and research achievements;
- to learn or develop new techniques in the field of mathematical modelling;
- to benefit the University of Glasgow by introducing new skills to the University or creating/furthering research collaborations with international centres of excellence.
- conference travel;
- tuition fees or routine living expenses (other than those incurred on placement); or
- students returning to their home country for their placement, unless clear evidence is provided to show that the placement would add significantly to their technical expertise (for example, because the home country leads study in the field).
Prior to making your application please read the complete terms and conditions: Jim Gatheral Information for Applicants 2013.
Applicants should provide a detailed plan of their suggested use of the Scholarship along with a supporting statement from their School/Research Institute. The applicant’s supervisor will be required to endorse the application and confirm that the scholarship will make a significant contribution to the applicant’s research. Applicants must comply with all eligibility and application criteria - no exceptions will be made.
Please note that some documents required for the application may take time to obtain, so we advise applicants to start this process as soon as possible. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Application Form Download: Jim Gatheral Application Form 2013
Application forms must be submitted electronically (no hard copies please) to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be submitted on or before 4pm Friday 10 May 2013.
Each scholar will be required to produce a report on his/her studies under the scholarship which will appear on the official website (link to it is below). The purpose of these reports is to show how the scholarship has enhanced scholars' research experience. More information on writing the report will be sent to successful applicants.
Further information about the Jim Gatheral Scholarship is available from the VP (R&E) Office.
Tel: 0141 330 1989
Application Deadline: 10 May 2013
Open to International Applicants: Yes
Further Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in UK for International Students