Course(s) Offered: Several disciplines
Course Level: Graduate (Masters, PhD)
Provider: The University of Cape Town
Country to Study in: South Africa
The Research Associateships have been established to provide prestigious awards to reward excellent student researchers, who are registered for full-time study, and to recognise and support the work of the students and their supervisors.
The purpose of the Research Associateships is to align reward and recognition of the research undertaken by students and their supervisors, with the University’s strategic objectives to be research-led and to be a transforming university.
Applications are invited for the Postgraduate Studies Funding i.e. for Doctoral Research Associate and Masters Research Associateship at The University of Cape Town; South Africa.
ONLY THE FOLLOWING STUDENTS ARE ELIGIBLE AND MAY BE NOMINATED:
- Only students who are registered for full-time study for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of the Doctoral degree
- Upgrades: Where a student has upgraded from Masters to Doctoral, she/he is eligible only in the 1st and 2nd year of DOCTORAL study (notwithstanding the number of years that she/he was registered for Masters).
- Only students who are registered for full-time study in the 1st and 2nd years of a Master’s degree by dissertation only
- Only students who are registered for full-time study in the 2nd year of a Master’s degree by coursework and research.
- Students registered for full-time study in the Commerce Faculty for a 4-year Doctoral degree (whereby the 1st year consists of coursework and is certificated) are eligible and may be nominated in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year.
- Students who meet the above criteria must be NOMINATED by their supervisors. Individual application from students will not be accepted.
- Full time Staff members are not eligible.
Candidates will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Seniority takes preference. Doctoral candidates will take preference over Master’s candidates.
- The academic history (of the student/candidate) will be taken into account, specifically the time taken to achieve - and the results of - the undergraduate and subsequent postgraduate degrees, in conjunction with and in the context of a student coming from a previously disadvantaged education system.
- Assessment will focus on the overall record of the student and the evaluation by the supervisor and Head of Department.
Citizens of ANY country (EXCEPT South Africa)
University of Cape Town (UCT); Cape Town, South Africa
Fields of study
Masters and Doctoral Research Associateships
Number of awards
Not specified by sponsor
The awards are for the duration of the course of study subject. The UCT Research Associateships are NOT renewable, and cannot be deferred.
The values of the UCT Research Associateships are as follows:
- Doctoral Research Associateship Award – R45,000
R30, 000 of the total of R45, 000 will be awarded directly to the student.
R15, 000 will be held by the PGC&FO and transferred to the student for research costs and/or conference travel, on receipt of motivation by the student’s supervisor. These funds must be used to cover student’s research costs OR travel costs to enable the student to attend a conference at which she/he will present a paper.
- Masters Research Associateship Award – R30,000
R20,000 of the total of R30,000 will be awarded directly to the student.
R10, 000 will be held by the PGC&FO and transferred to the student for research costs and/or conference travel on receipt of motivation by the student’s supervisor. These funds must be used to cover the student’s research costs OR travel costs to enable the student to attend a conference at which she/he will present a paper.
Only students that comply with the Eligibility Criteria may be nominated. Students may approach their Supervisors with a request to be nominated. Completed nomination forms must be given to Head of Department for ranking. APPLICATIONS RECEIVED DIRECTLY FROM STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on this award
The Scholarship Application Deadline is 30 April 2011
Inappropriate, Ineligible, Late and/or Incomplete Nominations WILL BE disqualified.
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is a public research university located in Cape Town in the Western Cape province of South Africa. UCT was founded in 1829 as the South African College, and is the oldest university in South Africa and the second oldest extant university in Africa.
UCT is the highest-ranked African university in the QS World University Rankings, the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities, and its Law and Commerce Faculties are consistently placed among the hundred best internationally.
Application Deadline: 31 April 2011
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in South Africa for International Students