Course(s) Offered: Teaching, consulting
Course Level: Postdoctoral
Country to Study in: USA
The Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt was established in 1949, and is the oldest and largest Fulbright program in the Arab world. Since 1949 nearly 5,000 scholars have been American Fulbrighters in Egypt or Egyptian Fulbrighters in the United States. Now in its sixth decade of operation, the Commission pursues an unchanged mandate: to cultivate mutual understanding by nourishing mutual educational exchange.
The Fulbright Scholar-In-Residence (SIR) Program sends scholars and professionals from Egypt and other countries to universities in the United States to internationalize the institutions’ campuses and curricula.
- Egyptian citizenship; holders of U.S. green cards and/or passports are ineligible
- Ph.D. degree with relevant teaching experiences.
- English language proficiency
- Minimal prior academic experience in the United States
- Ability to achieve the goals of the host institution
Citizens of Egypt
All accredited institutions in the United States.
Preference is given to institutions that infrequently host visiting scholars and that serve student populations underrepresented in international exchange programs.
Fields of study
Middle Eastern History and Cultural and Women Studies.
Scholars in Residence typically spend three to ten months teaching and consulting in area studies programs, in interdisciplinary programs that focus on global issues, or in courses where participation of a foreign scholar can provide a cross-cultural or international perspective.
Number of awards
Not specified, as several is given
Up to three (3) to ten (10) months
Inquire from the provider
Method of Application
To apply, you must: 1). Satisfy ALL eligibility requirements (see above); 2). Complete the online application; AND 3). Submit your application.
To register to submit your application:
- Go to www.fulbright-egypt.org (active link is below).
- Click on the online application link next to the “Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program.”
- If you a new user, click the sign-up link.
- After submitting your completed sign-up form you will receive an email message with a username and password for use in submitting your application.
- If you already have an account, log in.
- You can retrieve your account information at any time by clicking “forgot account” link.
On-line application and supporting documents (2 reference letters, copy of Ph.D. certificate, signature page and photo) must be submitted to the Fulbright Commission no later than March 8, 2011, 4:30 P.M
Q: How do you know that your application was completed and will be sent to Fulbright Commission?
A: When you log in you should find a screen, displaying your application serial number and Yes under completed column. Also note that:
- If you did not submit your application the following message will appear: “Your application was not completed and will not be considered by the Commission”.
- If you submitted your application but information is missing, the following message will appear: “Your Application was not completed and will not be considered by the commission unless you submit the following Information: (Your missing information)”.
- If your completed application has been submitted, the following message will appear: “Your Application was submitted successfully and you will receive confirmation e-mail with your Application Serial”.
Open to International students: No (ONLY Egyptians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Fulbright Scholarships for Students, Faculty and Researchers