Course(s) Offered: Computer, Engineering, Technical
Course Level: Training, Internship
Provider: Google Inc.
Country to Study in: Switzerland
This internship is a fantastic opportunity for computer science students from African universities to gain experience working in a European location. The Google Africa Trainee Program is designed specifically for students who are studying at an African university.
Software engineering interns at Google are developers who yearn to create and implement full product life cycles – not just code solutions. You have a solid foundation in computer science, you consistently come up with new ideas and strive for a deep understanding of our products in order to be able to continually improve upon them.
This is a FULLY-paid opportunity for African students to make a difference in technology.
To be eligible for an internship, you should be returning to university afterward, or the internship should be a formal part of completing your studies. Google Engineering internships are typically full-time positions, are paid, and take place year-round.
- Currently pursuing a BS, MS or PhD in computer science or a related technical field. Typically within 12-18 months of completing a Bachelor's or Master's degree, or at any stage in your PhD.
- Experience in systems software or algorithms.
- Excellent programming skills (C++, Java, Python).
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux or Windows environments and APIs.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP and network programming a plus.
- Fluency in English.
Citizens of ANY sub-Saharan African country
Google offices located in Zurich Switzerland
Fields of study
Internship positions and trainings in Computer science, Engineering or related technical field
How it Works:
Interns at Google work on stimulating challenges every day. You'll be paired with an engineer who will serve as your host and technical leader, and you'll work on projects that have a direct impact on the way Google operates. Projects assigned will be achievable within twelve weeks to ensure candidates are given a real experience of the life cycle.
- Research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google's product offering.
- Contribute to a wide variety of projects utilizing natural language processing, artificial intelligence, data compression, machine learning and search technologies.
- Collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information.
- Solve all problems that come your way.
This is a 3 months length programme taking place from June to August
The Africa Trainee Programme Internship is a paid, full-time position
Method of Application
To apply for the 2012 edition of the Google's Africa Trainee Program (Software Engineer Internships), visit the online Application page located on the official Google Students website (link to it is below) for full information and details of how to submit your application.
This programme is available all year round, thus it is a rolling programme i.e. varies/ongoing (to maximise your chances of success, apply as early as possible in the academic year).
Google reviews applications on an ongoing basis.
Start and end dates are flexible, with a minimum duration of three months
Application Deadline: Rolling
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application(Application page)
More Scholarship Information and Application(Announcement page)
Related: École Polytechnique Excellence Fellowships for Masters Students Worldwide