Study Subject: Natural Sciences
Scholarship Level: Postgraduate (Postdoctoral)
Scholarship Employer: TWAS-icipe
Scholarship can be taken at: Kenya
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Nairobi, Kenya, and TWAS offer one fellowship per year to visiting scholars from developing countries (other than Kenya) who wish to pursue advanced research in natural sciences.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum of 55 years on 31 December of the application year;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Kenya);
- hold a PhD degree and a regular research assignment with at least five years of postdoctoral research experience;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than the host country);
- be accepted at an icipe department and provide an official acceptance letter from the head of the department (see sample Acceptance Letter) to this effect. Requests for acceptance must be directed to Lillian Igweta (see contact details below);
- provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Nationals of any developing country (other than Kenya)
Fields of study
Eligible icipe departments: Fellowships are tenable at icipe in the Programmes of Animal Health, Human Health, Plant Health, Environmental Health, in the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, in the Department of Behavioural and Chemical Ecology, in the Department of Entomology, and at the field station of Mbita, Lake Victoria, Kenya.
The language of instruction is English.
TWAS-icipe Visiting Scholar Fellowships in natural sciences are tenable for a minimum period of one month to a maximum period of three months at the departments of the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Kenya.
icipe will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Method of Application
Submitting your application:
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September of each year.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from the chosen department to TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS only. The subject line must contain: icipe/VS/candidate’s surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes.
- Applicants to the TWAS-icipe Visiting Scholar Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS only.
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the fellowships "for research collaboration", all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and TWOWS that are mutually exclusive.
Click on the links below to download the application form and guidelines. Before applying it is recommended that you read very carefully the application guidelines for detailed information on eligibility criteria, deadlines and other key requirements of the application procedure.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240314
Fax: +39 040 2240689
icipe's Strategic Partnerships & Capacity Strengthening Prog.
Mrs. Lillian Igweta, Training Officer
Duduville, Kasarani - off Thika Road
P.O. Box 30772-00100 GPO, Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254 20 863 2272
Fax: +254 20 863 2001/2
Scholarship Application Deadline: 15th September each year
Scholarship Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application