Study Subject: Any field
Scholarship Level: Postgraduate (independent research or advanced study)
Scholarship Provider: JAUW
Scholarship can be taken at: Japan
Japanese Association of University Women (JAUW) was founded in 1946, and in 1954 joined International Federation of University Women (IFUW) which had been established in 1919. Today some 170,000 are members of IFUW from 71 nations in the world.
According to its Constitution, the purposes of JAUW are: i) To promote higher education for women; ii) To improve the status of women and girls; iii) To promote understanding and friendship among the university women of the world, irrespective of their race, nationality, religion or political opinions; and iv) To promote peace.
Japanese Association of University Women (JAUW) takes pleasure in announcing its international fellowships for women who are carrying out or would like to carry out independent research or advanced study at the post-graduate level in Japan. We have started the recruitment for 2013.
To be eligible:
- You are a woman of any nationality but Japanese, living outside Japan at the time of application.
- You have received a Master’s degree or its equivalent, and presently work outside academia, or you are a student/researcher higher than MA /its equivalent academic attainment (typically of pre-doctoral or dissertation level). Postdoctoral researchers may apply but they may be placed lower in priority.
- You have to submit, at the time of application, an acceptance letter from the prospective host university/institution in Japan or of your prospective supervisor of the said university/institution. You have to get the said letter by yourself. JAUW will not extend any help regarding to this matter.
- You have to explain in your proposal that your ongoing study/research is pursued in Japan academically/technically better than in any other place.
- You have to state clearly in your proposal how and in what aspect you will contribute to your home country through your study/ research in Japan.
Must be a women from any country other than Japan
Any woman from any country other than Japan who fulfills the 'Eligibility' above
Field(s) of Study
Advanced studies or research in any area that require being undertaken in Japan
Any approved Japanese institution of higher learning
Number of awards
Up to two fellowships will be awarded under this Program.
The period of the award will be for 5-6 months within September 2013 to March 2014
This program is to offer core funding to financially help you come and stay in Japan when you have found that it is preferable or very important for you to stay in Japan to further pursue your ongoing study/research.
Each Grantee will receive ¥500,000–1,000,000. The amount granted will vary depending on duration of stay in Japan and the nature of the work. One-third of the amount will be given to the grantee upon arrival in Japan.
Method of Application
Documents and material to be submitted
- three recommendation letters: each letter should be enclosed in a sealed envelope and signed by the writer.
- medical certificate: issued by a qualified medical doctor certifying that you are healthy enough to do your study in Japan for proposed period.
- an acceptance letter of your supervisor/partner etc. at host institution
- a copy of your passport-sized photo. Be sure to write your full name on the other side.
Japanese Association of University Women
11-6-101 Samoncho, Shinjuku-ku
Tokyo 160-0017, JAPAN
TEL:( 81 3) 3358 2882 FAX: (81 3) 3358 2889
For year 2013-2014, deadline is April 10, 2013 – Postmark Deadline
The committee will not accept any applications or supporting documents that are submitted after the deadline.
Scholarship Application Deadline: April 10, 2013 (every year)
Scholarship Open to International students: Yes
Resource: Instructions for 2013-14 JAUW International Fellowship Application(pdf)
More Fellowship Information and Application