Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Postgraduate (PhD)
Provider: Lee Foundation at NUS
Country to Study in: Singapore
The Lee Kong Chian Graduate Scholarships ("Scholarships") were established from donations received from the Lee Foundation and are the National University of Singapore (NUS) most prestigious scholarship awards for graduate students.
The scholarship is intended for students who would like to pursue PhD Programmes at the University. There is no bond required of this award.
The Scholarships are open to students of all nationalities who gain admission to any Ph.D. programme at the University. Applicants must have the following eligibility criteria:
- Have graduated with an undergraduate degree with first class or second-upper (or equivalent);
- Be an incoming new PhD student not currently matriculated;
- At the time of award of the Scholarship, must have been offered admission as a candidate for a full-time higher degree by research at NUS and;
- Students must be eligible for MOE Subsidy*.
In keeping with the donor's wishes, the Scholarships will be awarded to well-rounded individuals showing exceptional promise who have an appropriate balance of intellect and character. Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of demonstrated academic excellence, leadership and a commitment to service.
Citizens of ALL countries of the world (i.e. all nationalities)
National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
Fields of study
Any Doctoral (PhD) programme offered at the NUS
Number of Awards
Up to five (5) new Scholarships will be given each year. Not all Scholarships will be awarded unless there are candidates of sufficient merit.
The award is tenable for one (1) year in the first instance; but subject to the scholar’s satisfactory progress, it may be renewed annually. The maximum period of award is four (4) years.
Each Lee Kong Chian Graduate Scholarship (“Scholarship”) will provide for the following:
- A monthly stipend of S$3,300;
- Tuition and Miscellaneous Student Fees at NUS;
- An annual book allowance of S$500;
- A one-off air travel allowance of 2 return tickets of up to S$4,000 (only for overseas students subject to a maximum of S$2,000 per return ticket on economy class and 20 kg baggage per trip); and
- A one-off laptop allowance of S$1,500.
Incoming Ph.D. candidates will have to indicate their interest in the Scholarship when they submit their application for admission. You may visit the Graduate Admission System at NUS.
Apart from the other supporting documents required for Ph.D. admission, candidates interested in the Scholarship must also submit a personal essay and a record of co-curricular activities or community service. Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview either in Singapore or their home country.
The University reserves the right to terminate the Scholarship:
- at any time without notice if the scholar's progress is not satisfactory, or there is misconduct by the scholar, including the provision of inaccurate or false information and the omission of material information in connection with the University’s offer of the Scholarship, or the scholar is in breach of any of the terms and conditions herein; or
- at any time by giving 1 month's notice in writing to the scholar without assigning any reason.
- The scholar may terminate the Scholarship by giving 1 month's notice in writing.
- If the Scholarship ceases or is terminated for any reason whatsoever, the scholar shall only be entitled to a prorated amount of the monthly stipend up to the date of cessation or termination of the Scholarship, where the Scholarship ceases or terminates before the end of the month. If the full amount of the monthly stipend has already been paid to the scholar, then he/she must immediately refund the excess amount to the University.
The selection of candidates will take place twice a year, in time for the start of the academic year in August and January.
Deadline for online application - 22 November (for August intake) or 15 May (for January intake). Deadline for hardcopy application (form may be downloaded here) - 1 April (for August intake) and 1 September (for January intake)
Successful candidates will be informed of the outcome of their applications sometime in May (for August intake) or October (January intake).
Successful applicants will be required to sign a letter of undertaking agreeing to observe the terms and conditions for the award of the Scholarship. A copy of the current terms and conditions can be accessed here(pdf).
The above information is subject to change at any time. For current information on the Scholarship, please contact the graduate division of the relevant Faculty or School.
If you encounter any problems regarding the application system, please contact the school: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more, you may visit the university contact page.
Application Deadline: 22 November 2014
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Singapore for International Students