Course(s) Offered: Medicine (Anaesthesia)
Course Level: Graduate (Clinical fellowships, training)
Provider: Kenya Society of Anaesthesiologists
Country to Study in: Kenya, other Eastern African countries
The Kenya Society of Anaesthesiologists has announced a clinical fellowship in Paediatric Anaesthesia in kenya to train anaesthesiologists in Kenya and other Eastern African countries.
The goal of this project is to improve peri-operative care of children undergoing anaesthesia and subsequently clinical outcomes in Kenya and the larger East and Central Africa through a paediatric anaesthesia fellowship program.
Eligibility / Eligible groups
Interested anaesthesiologists in Kenya and other Eastern African countries
All teaching hospitals and similar facilities in Kenya and other Eastern African countries
Fields of study
This programme will offer fellows clinical experiences in:
- general paediatric and subspecialty paediatric anaesthesia,
- pain management,
- critical care and
- a variety of educational electives including pharmacology-related clinical research, medical education and clinical teaching and patient simulation.
We shall have a trainer of trainers approach so we can have enough faculties not to import in a period of about 3 years.
Number of awards
We shall have 4 students per year, 3 from Kenya and 1 from one of the neighbouring countries.
This is a 12 month programme
The objectives of the Project:
- To train anaesthesiologists in Kenya and other Eastern African countries in relevant knowledge and skills for delivery of safe perianaesthesia care for children in Africa
- To train Paediatric anaesthesiologists per excellence who will in turn be able to train other anaesthesia practitioners on the delivery of safe perianaesthesia care for children in Africa
- To set up comprehensive paediatric anaesthesia excellence centres in five countries in Africa, including Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi. The first of these will be in Kenya
- To develop mechanisms for professional mentorship for trained paediatric anaesthesiologists
- To train fellows in routine clinical and surveillance data collection and its application to improve service delivery.
- To develop mechanisms that will ascertain sustainability of the training program and provision of services beyond the life of this project.
- To disperse the training to all cadres of anaesthetists offering care of patients in the whole country, region.
- To develop competence in providing peri-operative anaesthetic care for neonates, infants, children and adolescents.
- To develop leadership, teaching and research roles in anaesthesia, peri-operative care and pain management in children
- To develop an in-depth understanding of paediatric day-of-admission and day surgery practices.
- To develop an understanding of the principles of experimental design, clinical research and statistical analysis.
Interested individuals are invited to submit their CVs to the secretariat through the email address: email@example.com
The scholarship application deadline is by the end of November 2010
The Kenya Society of Anaesthesiologists was registered on the 21st September 1994 under the societies act. Its operations are governed by a constitution which establishes a council and an annual general meeting (AGM). The society is affiliated to the International World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA) and the Kenya Society of Professionals.
KENYA SOCIETY OF ANAESTHESIOLOGISTS
Flat B1, Elgon Court, Off Ralph Bunche Rd.
P. O. Box 187 - 00202 KNH, Nairobi, Kenya.
Telephone: 254 20 260 7466
Fax: 254 20 273 1261
Mobile Phone Number: 254 716 303 868, 733 747 299
Application Deadline: 30 November 2010
Open to International Fellows: Yes
More Fellowship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in Kenya for Students