Course(s) Offered: Science, Engineering, Health
Course Level: Undergraduate (Honours/BTech), Graduate (masters, Phd)
Provider: UJ AND CSIR
Country to Study in: South Africa
In 2007, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) established a joint bursary programme tenable at the UJ.
The programme accommodates current or prospective full-time Honours/BTech, Master’s and Doctoral students within the faculties of Science, Engineering and Health Sciences. Applications are invited for Honours, Masters and Doctoral degrees, within the below-listed disciplines or in closely related disciplines.
To become eligible:
- Applicants must be SA citizens.
- Scholarships are awarded on the basis that students commence full-time study at Honours, Master’s or Doctoral level at the UJ in 2012.
- Applicants must ensure that their research area falls within one of the specified disciplines or in closely related disciplines (see list below).
- The scholarship-holder may not hold full-time salaried employment during the tenure of the scholarship, but he/she will be allowed to undertake a maximum of twelve hours of teaching, tutorials, assistance or demonstration duties per week on average during the year of study, and he/ she may be remunerated for his/her services at the normal UJ tariff for services rendered.
- Applicants must have a minimum average of 65% in their previous degree.
- These scholarships may not be held concurrently with bursaries, grants or emoluments which bind the recipient to enter into the service of the contract holder on completion of his/her studies.
- 1st year of Honours in 2011
- 1st or 2nd year of Master’s in 2011 or
- 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of Doctorate in 2011
- provided that the necessary previous qualification has been completed by the commencement of the programme.
Citizens of South Africa
University of Johannesburg, South Africa
Fields of study
Eligible courses of study are:
Materials Science and Manufacturing, Engineering, Built Environment, Natural Resources and Environment, Information and Communications Technology, Biosciences and Health, Mathematics, Natural and Physical Sciences, Defence Peace, Safety and Security
Number of awards
Renewal of scholarships for each academic year is determined by satisfactory progress of the student.
If a scholarship-holder does not obtain the degree for which the scholarship was awarded within the prescribed period (one year for Honours; two years for Master’s and three years for doctoral study); relinquishes his/ her studies, or leaves the UJ during the period for which the scholarship was awarded, the UJ may at its sole discretion require him/her to refund all payments of the scholarship already received for study towards the particular degree/diploma, plus interest at the rate of 15.5 % per annum a tempore morae.
Scholarship-holders will be expected to spend a limited amount of time at CSIR facilities during the course of their studies in order to promote a good understanding of the CSIR among them.
Method of Application
- Applicants must read through the Programme Guide carefully BEFORE submitting an application.
- All fields in the application form must be completed correctly or your application will be rejected.
- All applicants must submit the following documents:
- An application form
- Curriculum Vitae (clearly indicating your study field)
- ID document
- Full official academic record including all levels of tertiary study prior to your current qualification. Please note that academic records from student portals will NOT be accepted. (Do not submit certificates. Academic records must include marks)
- For Master’s and Doctoral students: A brief (max one page) outline of the project you would like to explore (clearly indicating the research area that you fit into)
hand deliver to: Postgraduate Centre, APK Library and Information Centre, Level 1 (Next to the 24 hour study area), Auckland Park Kingsway Campus, A-Ring 425.
Attn: Ms P Luvhengo
Fax to 011-559-4094
Attn: Ms P Luvhengo.
Confirm receipt of your application if you courier, post or fax with Ms P Luvhengo at 011-559-3780 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Application forms and the Programme Guide can be downloaded from www. uj.ac.za
The Scholarship Application Deadline is 14 October 2011
These scholarships may not be held concurrently with any student funding that binds the recipient to enter into the service of the contract holder on completion of his/her studies
All successful students will be required to enter into a signed scholarships agreement with the UJ and CSIR.
You may download the UJ/CSIR Scholarship Call and Programme Information(pdf).
Application Deadline: 14 October 2011
Open to International students: No (ONLY South Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application