Course(s) Offered: Science, Engineering
Course Level: Graduate (postdoc, research)
Provider: Canon Foundation for Scientific Research (CFSR)
Country to Study: Any Country
The Canon Foundation for Scientific Research (CFSR) provides support for scientists and academics from developing countries in the scientific and engineering fields in order to promote technology and knowledge transfer, and improve industrial and social infrastructure and capability.
The guidelines for eligibility are:
- Applications must be in the engineering or scientific fields
- Applications relevant to current funding initiatives will be given priority
- Applications will be considered from postgraduate students, postdoctoral researchers and established researchers with permanent institutional positions
- Applicants may be asked to attend an interview (at CFSR's expense)
- Applicants will be asked to produce evidence of the use of their funding, for example a certificate of attendance, conference report etc
Citizens of Developing Countries
Fields of study
All fields of Science and Engineering
Throughout the duration of the program
a). Travel bursaries for research and conference or symposium attendance: CFSR welcome applications from researchers who would like to attend local or international conferences, symposia and workshops or undertake other postgraduate study. In most cases, CFSR will meet all or part of travel, accommodation and registration costs. CFSR also consider offering financial assistance to qualified researchers wishing to further their expertise at an internationally recognized overseas institution.
b). Conference Support: CFSR support international meetings organized and hosted in developing countries, especially by facilitating the attendance of contributors.
c). Small project and Equipment grants: CFSR welcome grant applications from researchers for small projects. Normally, we our grants contribute to part of the full cost of a project. CFSR may provide a number of small grants to cover equipment costs and access to academic publications.
Method of Application
In the first instance applicants should send a brief proposal and a detailed CV with a full list of publications to the Scientific Co-ordinator. Preliminary enquiries should be directed to the Scientific Co-ordinator.
The CV should include the following information:
- Educational background
- Current and past positions
- Details of papers, posters and conference presentations (including papers in press and in preparation)
- Contact details, preferably an email address.
- A description of the research work or conference for which funding is sought
- How the funding will impact your work
- Why your work should receive support from CFSR
- A brief budget including other sources of funding
The world faces significant challenges because of climate change, population growth and rapid industrialisation. Science and engineering have an essential part to play in helping to overcome these problems, and it is important that available talent and expertise is developed and used, no matter where it may come from.
This is particularly true in developing countries, where scientists and engineers may lack the resources to participate fully in international networks. This is a problem for them as individuals, for their home countries and for the international scientific community. CFSR thinks that it cannot afford to lose such scarce resources when the challenges that we all face are so severe.
The Canon Foundation for Scientific Research (CFSR) was established at the start of the new millennium to promote the progress of science and technology in developing countries. CFSR awards grants for research and study projects, equipment and conference attendance to outstanding individuals from developing countries. CFSR hopes that this will enhance technology transfer and help industrial and social frameworks that will improve human welfare.
Application Deadline: Rolling
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Science & Technology Scholarships for International Students