Course(s) Offered: Human rights of women and girls
Course Level: All levels
Provider: The Global Fund for Women
Country to Study in: Any country (except USA)
Global Fund for Women invests in women’s groups that advance the human rights of women and girls. The organization strengthens women-led organizations based outside the United States by providing grants ranging from $5,000 to $30,000 for operating and program expenses.
The organization value local expertise and believe that women know best how to determine their needs and propose solutions for lasting change.
The Global Fund for Women is committed to providing support to women’s groups throughout the world in a fair and just way. In accordance with U.S. law, the Global Fund for Women is required to comply with all U.S. regulations.
Eligibility / Grant Criteria
Please note that your group MUST meet all the following criteria to be eligible for a grant:
- It is based in a country outside the United States. We do not fund US-based organizations.
- Its primary focus is advancing women’s equality and human rights, with these goals clearly reflected in its activities. Please note that groups whose sole purpose is to generate income or to provide charity to individuals are not eligible to apply.
- It is a group of women working together. We do not accept requests from individuals and do not fund projects proposed by or for the benefit of individuals (including scholarships).
- It is governed, directed, and led by women. Women must fill all or most of the leadership roles throughout the various decision-making levels of the group (including but not limited to the most senior decision-making levels).
Citizens of ANY country outside the USA
(priority areas are selected countries in Asia and the Pacific, Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle East and North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa).
The Global Fund for Women, San Francisco, California; USA
Fields of study
We value local expertise and believe that women themselves know best how to determine their needs and propose solutions for lasting change. To maximize our impact in defending and expanding hard won gains in women’s rights, Global Fund for Women’s grantmaking will focus on three critical areas:
- Freedom from Violence
- Economic & Political Equality
- Sexual & Reproductive Health & Rights
The Global Fund is able to award about 500 grants annually
Usually last one year
Grants range from $5000 to $30,000 for operating and program expenses. These are flexible grants to cover general operating expenses, such as rent, utilities, salaries, or equipment, as well as project expenses.
Travel grant which are small grants that allow members of an organization to attend conferences and events may also be awarded.
First-time grant awards generally range from $5,000 to $13,000 per year.
Method of Application
Your group must meet ALL the basic criteria to be eligible for a grant. Before proceeding, you are requested to carefully review the grant's criteria to ensure that your group is eligible.
All groups that wish to be considered for the annual grantmaking cycle must submit an Organizational Profile through the secure online system.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this grant.
Online Organizational Profile submission opens September 1, 2015. Deadline for submitting an Organizational Profile for the 2016 grantmaking cycle is January 31, 2016.
Although funds have been granted in more than 170 countries, the Global Fund has current priority areas. If you are not in this area, you are still welcome to submit an Organizational Profile through the online application site; however, please note that the likelihood of receiving funding is extremely low.
Global Fund will send you a note of receipt after receiving your application.
Application Deadline: 31 January 2015
Open to International groups: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships, Awards & Grants for Women