The purpose of the Research Fellowship is to build research capacity and scientific leadership by creating new positions for senior Post-Doctoral scientists that have demonstrated a potential to become established researchers. Preference will be given to proposals that address Public Health and Environmental Health research priorities in the country.
The six Research Fellows will be appointed for a period of 2 years commencing in Jan 2011, with the option to extend for a further 2 years subject to satisfactory performance and the availability of funds.
- Interested individuals must submit a full application to the MRC no later than 15 July 2010.
- Applications must include a full research proposal, 3 referee’s reports, and written commitment from the employing institution to provide the infrastructure, top-up salary and matching contribution towards the running expenses for the research project.
- Where the Fellow is to be appointed in an MRC in-house programme, the written commitment must be provided by the Unit or Group Director.
- Applications will be sent out for peer-review and the applicants will be informed of the outcome of the application by September /October 2010, for uptake of the Grant in Jan 2011.
- Applicants may be subjected to an interview before a final decision is made.
- Be South African Citizens or in possession of Permanent Residency
- Have a research doctorate and post-doctoral research experience
- Apply within at least 5 years of obtaining a research doctorate.
Value of the Award
- Research Fellows will be appointed at the level of a Lecturer at a University or Senior Scientist at the MRC.
- The MRC will contribute, R180 000 towards the Fellow’s salary and R50 000 for running expenses for the research project.
- The university will top-up the MRC salary contribution to that of a Lecturer at the employing institution.
- Where the Research Fellow is appointed in an MRC in-house programme, the programme will be expected to top-up the MRC salary contribution to that of a Senior Scientist.
- Where a Fellow is appointed at a University, the University must give a written commitment to provide the necessary infrastructure, salary contribution and a minimum of R50 000.00 for running expenses for the research project.
- Where a Fellow is appointed in an MRC in-house programme, the Unit or Group Director must provide written commitment to provide the necessary infrastructure, salary contribution and a minimum of R50 000.00 for running expenses for the research project.
- The Research Fellow must spend a minimum of 80% of his or her time undertaking full-time research on the approved project. Successful applicants will be required to sign a contractual agreement with the MRC and the university.
Kindly forward your responses to Research Capacity Development Administrator at Philistia.Joshua@mrc.ac.za and copy Dr Thabi Maitin: e-mail: thabi.maitin@mrc..ac..za
Application Closing Date: 15 July 2010
Further Scholarship Information
TIP: Use the 'Study & Scholarships search' box above and below on this page to search
Was above article useful? Please share: