Course(s) Offered: Cardiology, Pulmonology
Course Level: Graduate (fellowships)
Country to Study in: Kenya
The Academic Model Providing Access to Health Care (AMPATH) is inviting applications for the following fellowship positions in the AMPATH Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Disease Centre of Excellence: Cardiologist and Pulmonologist (1 Post each).
AMPATH began in 1989 as an educational medical partnership between Indiana University Medical School (IUMS) and Moi University to collaboratively improve health services, partake in health research and develop leaders in health care in the United States and Kenya.
Interested and eligible candidates in the two required specialties are invited to apply by submitting an application pack as described below.
- The candidate should have completed or about to complete MMED, either in Medicine or Pediatrics.
- Must be registered by the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (KMPDB).
- Should have strong interest in a research career either cardiology or pulmonologist.
- Should have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work in a team.
- Should be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Should be computer literate.
AMPATH Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Disease Centre of Excellence
[Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana AND
Moi University School of Medicine, Eldoret, Kenya]
Fields of study
The major goal of the clinical training component is to develop basic competency in the prevention, recognition and management of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Disease (CVPD).
It is expected that the fellowship training will lead to a mature understanding of the prevalence of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Disease (CVPD).
The Centre of Excellence fellows will pursue clinical research training concurrently with their clinical training. This will consist of didactic and mentored activities. On completion of their fellowship, the fellows will be expected to work at Moi University and/or Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital.
Number of awards
A total of two positions is available to be awarded in 2010
The AMPATH Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Disease Centre of Excellence’s clinical research fellowship is a three years program.
Method of Application
Candidates who meet the qualifications to submit:
- two letters of recommendation,
- a letter showing that they are or will be employed by Moi University or Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital,
- copies of their certificates,
- a short personal statement describing their career experience and interest and how they would use what they learn during the training course over the next 1-3 years and
- a short abstract of their anticipated research protocol.
The Program Manager,
P.O BOX 4606-30100,
All applications must be received in full on or before the stated deadline date. The application deadline date is 10th June 2010
The Academic Model Providing Access to Healthcare (AMPATH) is an academic medical partnership between North American academic health centers led by the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, Indiana and the Moi University School of Medicine, centered in Eldoret, Kenya. It is the first food-and-drug treatment model to be established in Africa. The program seeks to provide comprehensive HIV care services through its three-way mission: care, research, and training. It currently serves 3.5 million people, with over 60 urban and rural clinics in Western Kenya.
Application Deadline: 10 June 2010
Open to International Applicants: No
More Fellowship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Kenya for International Students