Suitable candidates must have demonstrated a passion for the study of energy and climate change. There is no restriction on nationality, race or gender. Candidates with research experience in their current or previous degrees or other research capacity on the themes of climate change and governance are particularly encouraged to apply.
Value and Tenure:
The Value of the scholarship is R110 000 per year, which must be used towards tuition, academic materials, housing and research project costs. The tenure of the award is ONE YEAR. It is expected that this would be renewed for one further year, if applicable to the degree and subject to satisfactory academic progress. The maximum tenure is therefore two years.
Conditions of Award
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Provide a mid-year progress report, reflecting progress on the doctoral proposal and / or thesis;
- At the end of ninth month of each year in which the scholarship is held, a letter from the PhD supervisor indicating academic progress;
- Provide a full report on the year’s work towards the PhD;
- Provide an account of expenditure of the scholarship;
- Present the proposal and interim findings to the ERC;
- Repay all or part of the scholarship to the ERC should she/he withdraw fromdoctoral studies, deregister, or fail to achieve the degree in the agreed timeframe; and
- Undertake to comply with the University’s approved policies, procedures and practices on postgraduate funding.
Applicants are required to:
- Write a letter of application, attaching a PhD proposal or draft thereof;
- Indicate the name and contact details of their PhD supervisor;
- Submit a CV of no longer than three A4 pages, including detail of previous research in energy
- Attach a certified copy of their Masters degree or academic transcript or a letter from their supervisor indicating that they are expected to complete their Masters degree by the end of 2010;
- Attach a certified copy of SA identity document or Passport/Study-permit.
- Provide the names, e-mail and day-time telephone number for two academic referees;
- Applications must be submitted to Ann Steiner (Ann.Steiner@uct.ac.za).
Late and Incomplete Applications Will be Disqualified
ERC reserves the right to cancel, withdraw and recover any funds paid to the award-holder if she/he does not comply with the Conditions of Award.
More Information and Application
TIP: Use the 'Study & Scholarships search' box above and below on this page to search