Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters, Phd, research)
Provider: Australian Government, UWA
Country to Study in: Australia
Updated: See UWA International Postgraduate Research Scholarships
Applications are invited from international students for scholarships to undertake a master's by research or Doctor of Philosophy at The University of Western Australia (UWA). There are two major scholarships schemes: International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS); and UWA Scholarships for International Research Fees (SIRF).
These schemes seek to attract top quality international postgraduate students to areas in which the University has specialised research strengths and to support Australia's research effort.
The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) are funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research (DIISR) and the Scholarships for International Research Fees (SIRF) are funded by The University of Western Australia.
IPRS and SIRF Scholarships will only be available to those applicants who:
- Have completed a four year undergraduate degree at first-class honours level or equivalent. An applicant may be disadvantaged if the Scholarships Committee cannot make a comparison with The University of Western Australia’s standards, particularly in relation to the class of Honours achieved, ie first or second class Honours;
- Intend to enroll as a full-time candidate for a Master’s degree by research or a PhD degree;
- Will be commencing their course in the semester following the scholarship round in which they have successfully applied;
- Provide evidence of achieving English language proficiency to the following standards:
- IELTS SCORE OF 6.5, with speaking and listening no less than 6.0 and with reading and writing no less than 6.5;
- Paper-based TOEFL score of 580 or above (Computer-based TOEFL test is not acceptable) with a Test of Spoken English score of 45 and a TWE (Test of Written English) of 4.5;
- iBT TOEFL internet-based test score of 95 with 22 for reading and listening, 24 for speaking and 23 for writing;
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: C grade;
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English: B grade;
- UWA CELT Bridging Program – ‘B+’ grade or above
The following applicants will be ineligible for a scholarship under the SIRF scheme:
- International applicants who have already obtained a PhD degree or equivalent.
- International applicants who have already obtained a Master’s degree by research and are applying to undertake another Master’s degree by research.
- International applicants are not eligible for an IPRS awards if they have already commenced the degree for which they are seeking an award, unless they can establish that they were unable to apply for an award in the previous calendar year. Students who have already enrolled are eligible for the SIRF awards.
- International applicants who have not provided evidence of their English language proficiency meeting or exceeding the standards listed above and in the application form.
- Australian and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
Citizens of any country of the World may apply
University of Western Australia, Australia
Field(s) of study
Any Masters or PhD degree by research offered by the university
It is essential that you contact the individual School or Centre in which you are interested in undertaking research. The School must be able to confirm that your proposed research topic is in an area of research strength which is well supported by external research funding. They must also be able to provide appropriate expertise and supervision for your project.
See the list of Faculties, Schools and Centres or see the Graduate Research Coordinators. You must have agreement from a prospective supervisor in the School or Centre in which you intend to enroll at the time you submit your online scholarship application.
Tuition Fee Scholarship, Fortnightly Stipend and Health Insurance worth $27228 per annum is covered by the IPRS Scholarships. A SIRF scholarship covers the cost of international tuition fees, and required health insurance premiums for the awardee only.
Successful applicants can expect to become members of a research team, working under the direction of senior researchers and in an area which has attracted external resources.
All travel and relocation costs are the responsibility of the applicant.
Method of Application
When you apply for an IPRS, you are automatically considered for the award of a SIRF scholarship. You do not apply for a Masters by Research or Phd study place or candidature separately as this is included in your scholarship application. If you applied for, or did so previously, a full-fee place to the UWA International Centre, you must advise the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office.
All applicants need to apply through the online iATHENA scholarship system. If you require instructions or help regarding the online application process, please refer to the iAthena Online Application Guide. You will find a link to the online application form in this Guide. There are no scholarship application fees.
Applications for scholarships are assessed in a number of rounds each year. Please check the official web site (link to it is below) for the application closing date, and for the expected date that applicants will be notified of the outcome.
Faxed or emailed applications will NOT be accepted.
Need resource on the Frequently Asked Questions? See Scholarship FAQs
If you need further help or to make inquiries, please contact the scholarships office:
Tel: +61 8 6488 3738 or +61 8 6488 4740
Application Deadline: 31 January / 31 August 2013
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Australia for International Students