Study Subject(s): Nursing
Course Level: Undergraduate (diploma or degree)
Scholarship Provider: RCN Foundation
Scholarship can be taken at: UK
As well as these Margaret Parkinson Scholarships to encourage university graduates to take up nursing, there are also Margaret Parkinson Bursaries administered by the Royal School for Deaf Children Margate to help post-registration nurses to learn sign language.
Eligibility / Terms and conditions
Applicants will need to:
- be graduates in any academic discipline, or be in their final year of a degree course in which case any award will be made subject to gaining that degree
- already be familiar with how to enter nurse training and the difference between a nursing diploma and nursing degree course (if you have not already got this information please see www.rcn.org.uk for information on how to become a nurse)
- be eligible to apply for a nursing diploma or degree course
- be domiciled in the UK
- be available, if invited, to attend for interview in London on Wednesday 15th February 2012 (for which travelling expenses will be refunded)
- fully complete the application form, write a 1,000 word statement, and obtain the signature of two referees on the form
- Applicants on nursing degree courses or nursing diploma courses which commenced prior to 2012 are not eligible.
- The decision of the judges is final and unfortunately feedback will not be available for unsuccessful applications.
- obtain a place on a nursing diploma or degree course
- take up their diploma or degree studies during 2012
- submit regular progress reports
- become a student member of the Royal College of Nursing
- notify the RCN Foundation, and return any funds awarded, in the event of withdrawal from the course
- The award of a scholarship is not a guaranteed entry point to nursing.
- Funding is awarded subject to taking up a place and will be paid half yearly subject to confirmation of continued study and receipt of an annual progress report.
- In the final year, £200 will be retained from the final instalment until a final completion report is received.
- Depending on individual circumstances, receipt of a Margaret Parkinson Scholarship might have tax implications and applicants may wish to clarify this with HM Revenue & Customs.
- The awards are made on merit but the amount awarded is assessed by reference to need. Candidates are therefore required to notify the RCN Foundation Awards Officer of any significant change in circumstances, either before interview or during the period of the award, in which case the amount of the award may be increased or decreased at the discretion of the selection committee.
Graduates with a non-nursing degree seeking to qualify as a Registered Nurse. Graduates domiciled outside the UK are not eligible for these awards.
Fields of study
A diploma or a degree in nursing
Up to £2,000 per annum for graduates with a non-nursing degree who wish to commence nurse training: between £500 and £2000 maximum per annum for up to 3 years*
* Successful applicants will need to demonstrate satisfactory achievements in their course of study for the award to be renewed each year.
Method of Application
Please download the 'Margaret Parkinson Scholarship application form' (see link below) which contains full details or email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 001-343.
Please note the following:
- We regret we are unable to accept faxed or emailed applications.
- We are unable to accept late applications.
- The RCN Foundation cannot pay excess postage on applications sent with insufficient postage.
- If you would like us to acknowledge receipt of your application, please enclose an SAE.
Scholarships: If you need to contact the RCN Foundation about your application at any stage, please telephone the RCN Foundation Awards Officer on 020 7647 3731.
Bursaries: For details of the bursaries for sign language, please contact the Royal School for Deaf Children Margate direct on 01843 227561.
Scholarship Application Deadline: For the year 2012 -Thursday 1 December 2011. Applicants shortlisted for interview will be notified by 31 January 2012. Interviews will take place on Wednesday 15 February 2012 and all applicants will be notified of the outcome as soon as possible after that date.
Scholarship Open to International students: Yes(but ONLY graduates domiciled in UK)
More Scholarship Information and Application (Word 228KB)
Related: RCN Foundation Scholarships page