Study Subject: Microfinance
Scholarship Level: Postgraduate (master)
Scholarship Provider: CUD/CIUF
Scholarship can be taken at: Any developing country
The European Microfinance Programme - EMP is directed at students who want to obtain a specialisation in microfinance and acquire expertise by working in a developing country.
It provides students with a multidisciplinary approach to the challenges facing the microfinance sector today.
It offers the combined expertise of academics and experts working in the field. Academics from several leading European universities and practitioners from non-governmental organisations have collaborated to launch this joint programme.
Conditions of admission:
- Applicants must already hold a master Degree, equivalent to 300 ECTS (5 years), in one of the following disciplines: development cooperation, economics, agronomy, management and finance. Exceptionnally, other qualifications may be accepted.
- Applicants must possess field experience in developing countries.
- Mastering English is required
- Applicants will find the detailed application procedure on www.europeanmicrofinanceprogram.org.
- They must submit their application to both CUD and EMP.
With more than 60% of students coming from the South, 27 nationalities and experts from all parts of the world, the EMP is a particularly international Masters programme, which allows to create and keep new (professional) networks.
Warocqué School of Business ans Economics - Université de Mons (Belgium)
Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management (SBS-EM) - Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
In Collaboration with:
L'Université Paris-Dauphine (France)
and ADA, BRS, CERISE, PlaNet Finance Belgique and SOS Faim
Fields of study (Content)
The programme lasts one year (60 ects). It unfolds in 3 periods:
- Mid September to January: Introduction to financial management, microfinance from conception to management, banking and microfinance, contracting and microfinance products, public policy in microfinance, microfinance and societies, introduction to rural development.
- February to April: Topics in microfinance; case studies in microfinance. Assessment of microfinance, development and ethics
- May to September: Students will complete a compulsory two-to-four-month field internship preferably at microfinance institutions in developing countries. The EMP does not provide any financial support for the expenses related to that internship. However, students have the possibility to look for grants and financial support from foundations, associations, etc...Last year, the EMP was able to help finance some of the CUD-EMP students' flight tickets, but the EMP cannot make any commitment for the year 2013-2014, as it will depend on the programme's financing capacities.
Number of Awards
Sponsorship duration of the course
One year (starting: mid – September 2013)
EMP works in close connection with the Centre for European Research in Microfinance (CERMi), which offers optional seminars, conferences, and other research activities to the EMP students (www.cermi.eu).
Please be aware that the internship on the field is compulsory, as part of the programme, and that the EMP does not provide any financial support for the expenses related to that internship. However, students have the possibility to look for grants and financial support from foundations, associations, etc.
Method of Application
All candidates must fulfill the requirements on Academic degree and English language proficiency.
As the EMP is taught in English, candidates must prove their spoken and written command of English. If candidates from developing countries fulfill all admission requirements but can only provide a B1 English level (according to the CEFR), the EMP Jury will take these applications into account.
For complete and detailed information on the admission and application requirements, processes and other relevant details, please visit the official Admissions and Application page.
Please note: Applications have to be received by the CUD by the deadlines
EMP Applications for 2013-14:
- First deadline: 13 February 2013 (also CUD deadline)
- Second deadline:
31 March 2012 -CLOSED-
- Third deadline:
30 June 2012 -CLOSED-
Scholarship Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: European Microfinance Programme (Master complémentaire conjoint en microfinance) - external link
Was above article useful? Please share: