Poverty Alleviation and Development (P&D) Graduate Scholarships for African Students at Brandeis University, USA
Study Subject: Development and project management emphasizing poverty reduction, gender equality, human rights and biodiversity conservation
Scholarship Level: Masters (MA)
Scholarship Provider: Brandeis University
Scholarship can be taken at: USA
The Poverty Alleviation and Development (P&D) Scholarship for the Master of Arts in Sustainable International Development will be awarded to an early- to mid-career development planner committed to poverty alleviation and community development within the region of Southern Africa. The Scholarship will begin in August 2011.
Eligibility / Eligible Groups
Early- to mid-career development planner committed to poverty alleviation and community development within the region of Southern Africa. Nationals of the following countries will be considered: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Fields of Study
The P&D Scholar will join SID graduate students from over 40 countries for an interdisciplinary study of development and project management emphasizing poverty reduction, gender equality, human rights and biodiversity conservation. The P&D Scholar will concentrate on theoretical and analytical skills in the year-in-residence at Brandeis University and then spend a second year in a supervised internship or field project.
The P&D Scholarship includes full tuition and fees for the year-in-residence at Brandeis, and all university fees for the second year field project. It is a 100% Tuition and Fees Scholarship. Please note: airfare, health insurance, and living expenses are not included.
Method of Application
Applicants will apply for the Scholarship with a statement outlining their commitment to poverty alleviation in Southern Africa and submitting it with the application for admission. Nominations are encouraged from international and governmental development institutions and NGOs. Self-nominations are accepted, and women are especially encouraged to apply.
Nominators may mail, fax (781-736-2774), or email a letter of nomination to the Admissions Office (see 'Contact' below).
Applications (to be submitted by the applicant) should include:
- Letter of Interest in Southern Africa Poverty Alleviation & Development Scholarship
- Completed Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- Detailed Statement of Purpose describing career objectives and work experience
- Three original letters of recommendation (at least one professional and one academic) on official letterhead sent directly to the Admissions Office from the recommenders (These letters must be accompanied by a Brandeis University Recommendation Form)
- Original or certified true copies of transcripts from all university-level studies, sent directly to the Admissions office from each university (Transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by an official English translation)
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score report is required for all international applicants.
The Heller School for Social Policy and Management
Office of Admissions
415 South Street, MS 035
Waltham, MA 02454
Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1 (annually)
Scholarship Open to International students: Yes
Resource: MA Application Requirements
More Scholarship Information and Application - pdf