Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Graduate (research)
Provider: World Agroforestry Memorial Scholarship fund
Country to Study in: Any developing country
The World Agroforestry Centre (previously known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry, ICRAF) is pleased to announce the availability of thesis research fellowships for postgraduate students wishing to conduct their thesis research in collaboration with World Agroforestry Centre scientists.
The World Agroforestry Memorial Scholarship fund was formally established in 2004 as one way to honour scientists and other Centre staff who may pass away while in active service with the organization. With this fund, the Center honours the life, the concerns, the social and scientific passions of each individual listed on the official website (link to it is below), and celebrate their contributions to the advancement of agroforestry.
To qualify for a fellowship, the candidate must:
- Be a national of a developing country involved in Agroforestry research, education or development
- Be 35 years of age or less (i.e not more than 35 years)
- Be registered for a postgraduate degree at a recognized university (evidence required)
- Show evidence of interest in Agroforestry research by producing an Agroforestry research concept note (maximum 3 pages, covering Title, Objectives, Hypotheses, Methods and tools, Location, Duration and Budget)
- Be an employee of a university, or a national research institute or at least secure the support of such an institution in the relevant developing country (where the research will be conducted)
- Have completed or be close to completing coursework for the graduate degree for which s/he is registered
Citizens of ANY African and/or other developing countries
Tenable at any university in countries where the Center has effective scientific contacts.
The thesis research will be jointly supervised by the University where the applicant is registered. Each institution will appoint a suitable supervisor.
Fields of study
Field research and thesis production in any field and/or topic related to Agroforestry. The Global research priorities include:
- Domestication, utilization and conservation of superior Agroforestry germplasm.
- Maximizing on farm productivity of trees and Agroforestry systems.
- Improving tree product marketing for smallholders.
- Reducing risks to land health and targeting Agroforestry interventions to enhance productivity.
- Improving the ability of farmers, ecosystems and governments to cope with climate change.
- Developing policies and incentives for multifunctional landscapes with trees that provide environmental services.
Not specified by provider
This is a onetime research grant for your thesis
These scholarships support thesis research for postgraduate students who are nationals of developing countries. The upper limit for the support is US $ 5,000 to cover field research and thesis production.
It is assumed that candidates will have other grants to meet their tuition and other expenses related to the studies. The grant will be used to cover expenses arising from field research (including travel), laboratory analysis and thesis production.
Regarding candidate's supervisors:
Each candidate's institution will appoint a suitable supervisor. Supervisors will receive a travel grant (where justified) to meet once. The travel grant shall not exceed USD 1,500. This shall be additional to the USD 5,000 given to the student.
Method of Application
All applications should be sent to the address below. The selection process involves announcements, proposal review, and selection of grantees by a small panel of World Agroforestry Centre senior staff.
- Fill in an application form (download from official website - link is below).
- A letter of recommendation from employer/ institution.
- A three-page concept note (relevant to the global research priorities identified below).
- Certified copies of certificates.
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- Two recent passport size photographs.
- Evidence of registration for a Masters Degree Programme.
The Training Officer,
World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
P.O. Box 30677-00100
For details and electronic application go to:
Closing date for receiving application and relevant documents is 30 June 2009.
These scholarships are for postgraduate students wishing to conduct their thesis research in collaboration with the World Agroforestry Centre scientists. The scholarships are tenable at any university in countries where the Centre has effective scientific contacts.
Fellowships are awarded on competitive basis, women are particularly encouraged to apply.
All items received by the Center shall be acknowledged but will not be returnable.
Applicants will abide by World Agroforestry Centre Policy guidelines on Research Ethics.
The World Agroforestry Centre (known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry, ICRAF before 2002), is an international institute headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and founded in 1978. The Centre specialises in the sustainable management, protection and regulation of tropical rainforest and natural reserves. It is one of 15 agricultural research centres which makes up the global network known as the CGIAR. The Centre conducts research in agroforestry, in partnership with national agricultural research systems with a view to developing more sustainable and productive land use. The focus of its research is countries/regions in the developing world, particular in the tropics of Central and South America, Southeast Asia and parts of central Africa.
In 2002 the Centre acquired the World Agroforestry Centre brand name, although International Centre for Research in Agroforestry remains its legal name and it continues to use the acronym ICRAF.
Application Deadline: 30 June 2009
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application