The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) is a standardized test that provides firsthand practice for the SAT®. It's cosponsored by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). It also gives you a chance to enter NMSC scholarship programs and gain access to college and career planning tools.
The PSAT/NMSQT measures:
- Critical reading skills
- Math problem-solving skills
- Writing skills
The most common reasons for taking the PSAT/NMSQT are to:
- Receive feedback on your strengths and weaknesses on skills necessary for college study. You can then focus your preparation on those areas that could most benefit from additional study or practice.
- See how your performance on an admissions test might compare with that of others applying to college.
- Enter the competition for scholarships from NMSC (grade 11).
- Help prepare for the SAT. You can become familiar with the kinds of questions and the exact directions you will see on the SAT.
- Receive information from colleges when you check "yes" to Student Search Service.
By taking the PSAT/NMSQT, you may qualify to enter the competitions for prestigious scholarships and participate in recognition programs.
As cosponsor of the PSAT/NMSQT, (NMSC) receives all students' scores. If you do not want your scores released to other recognition programs, contact us (see link below).
- The National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)
- National Scholarship Service
- The Telluride Association
Everyone who has a chance to take the PSAT should certainly take advantage of it. Not only does it give one valuable practice for the SAT by revealing what areas you may need to work on, but if you do well, you can also qualify for some of the millions of dollars of scholarship money from the National Merit Scholarship competition.
The PSAT/NMSQT test is a challenging test, and allows students to bring calculators along.
Though there is no pressure to do well or pass as in the SAT® and ACT tests, remember that with very high scores you may have a chance at real scholarship money. So, do all your best and it may have big payoffs down the road.
PSAT/NMSQT Contact Information
For more: About PSAT/NMSQT
Scholarships & Recognition: PSAT/NMSQT Scholarships
Test guide: official Student Guide